FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By seth1161
well i have had my vft for about a month now so i just today replanted it. i used half peat moss and about half perlite and planted my vft with a few pullings i did which seem to be pretty good. after that i put some wet sphagnum moss on top. does it look ok? did i do a good job?? pointers if possible. :D Did i use to much sphagnum moss.
thank you in advance for any helpful comments. :D
By seth1161
one second i accidentaly put up the post without the pictures it will be a few minutes for the pictures
By seth1161
here is one of the pictures :D
Attachments:
IMG_5591.JPG
IMG_5591.JPG (344.21 KiB) Viewed 4897 times
By tael
Hey Seth! It looks very nice, but are you sure that is sphagnum moss? I could be mistaken (truly sorry if I am), but I'm not sure it looks like any sphagnum moss I've seen? Anyway, other than that it looks very nice. Perhaps some experts can chime in. =)
By seth1161
i think it is from what i have heard that is the right stuff if its not please tell me. (experts especialy) its not living moss but i hope that i have the right stuff
Do I ????
By Jutty_Boy
I'm no way near an expert, but yea, I am not quite sure it is sphagnum moss. . . But the plant and the traps seems in pretty good shape.

-Jut
By tael
It almost sort of looks like sheet moss. I would take it out of there for now. Until you can confirm for sure that it's sphagnum. It's not worth risking your plant over! =)
By kevinqwe
you dont need live sphagnum doesnt really matter. you can buy dried sphagnum and put it in a ziplock bag with distilled water and it will come alive
By Matt
Yeah, I agree with tael and Jut. It doesn't look like sphagnum moss to me. Where did you get it? Do you still have the package? What's on the label? I guess it could be live sphagnum, but it doesn't look like any sphagnum I've ever seen.

As Kevin said, you don't need live sphagnum. I don't use it on any of my plants. I do use it to start pullings, but it definitely isn't necessary.

The repotting job looks good other than the top dressing.
By seth1161
thank you for your responses i think you may be right so i am going to buy some stuff that definitly and i have checked is sphagnum moss today its long fibered sphagnum moss thank you again for the input :D
By italo.americano
Hi seth1161,

This is the Long Fiber Sphagnum Moss that I used for the last two years and I've never had any problems with it.
It is shipped in a block and expands 12 times in volume instantly. Out of all the LFSM products that I've used, this is simply the best.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LUSTER-LEAF-1482-20 ... .m20.l1116

I hope this helps and please keep us updated on your progress,

Giovanni
By lemonlily
Matt wrote:Yeah, I agree with tael and Jut. It doesn't look like sphagnum moss to me. Where did you get it? Do you still have the package? What's on the label? I guess it could be live sphagnum, but it doesn't look like any sphagnum I've ever seen.

As Kevin said, you don't need live sphagnum. I don't use it on any of my plants. I do use it to start pullings, but it definitely isn't necessary.

The repotting job looks good other than the top dressing.
I have something that looks similar to the stuff in that pot. I'm not sure what it is either, I didn't buy the plants though. I found them about to die on the ground and I took them home to save it.
By NZL
Sphagnum moss can come in different forms and shapes.
I have to say that in some places in the picture i recognize sphagnum but in other parts it doesn't look like it.
If it's just one type of moss, i'd say it is sphagnum. If it's a mix, i'd say it's sphagnum and another moss.

So a couple questions just because I don’t[…]

Please and thank you! Appreciate it! :mrgreen:

Thank you! Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk […]

Darkened leaves

It is a combination of too much water, and also […]

andynorth's Grow/want list

It's been a bit since I have added anything new to[…]

Spagnum moss turning green

Looks like algae, and that is normal.

SASE put in mail!

Seeds is a gray area. This statement was cop[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!