FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Freebies, raffles, etc. for plants or growing supplies

Moderator: Matt

By Supercazzola
I may “give away” some of my personally made hybrids, but want folks to cover shipping adequately. So does that count as a giveaway?
Originally I thought there would be some interest in these plants, but nada. At least the year and some months I spent caring for them still gave me some joy.
Maybe I’ll propose something like for every one that is purchased, I’ll hold a giveaway up until ten or something like that. I need my space… get it?
IMG_0077.jpeg
IMG_0077.jpeg (61.59 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Intheswamp, elaineo, Panman and 2 others liked this
By Panman
Supercazzola wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:30 am I may “give away” some of my personally made hybrids, but want folks to cover shipping adequately. So does that count as a giveaway?
I think asking for shipping on a giveaway is fine. It may limit the number of participants. Have you tried offering your hybrids online like in Facebook marketplace? I've had good luck with that and may give you a larger audience for the plants.
andynorth, Supercazzola liked this
By elaineo
Supercazzola wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:30 am Originally I thought there would be some interest in these plants, but nada. At least the year and some months I spent caring for them still gave me some joy.
IIRC, these are lowland hybrids that require supplemental heat + humidity, right? that might also limit your audience here.
By ChefDean
Supercazzola wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:30 am I may “give away” some of my personally made hybrids, but want folks to cover shipping adequately. So does that count as a giveaway?
It does, because you're not charging for the plant. It's completely reasonable to make it a stipulation that the winner pays shipping.
Heck, if you wanted, you could require the winner to post a pic of them patting their head while rubbing their belly while jumping on one foot with their eyes crossed and their tongue sticking out in addition to them paying shipping. No pic, no prize
Supercazzola liked this
By alecStewart1
Supercazzola wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:30 am I may “give away” some of my personally made hybrids, but want folks to cover shipping adequately.
[...]
Originally I thought there would be some interest in these plants, but nada.

I mean, I'm interested it's just a matter of do I want the fiance scolding me or not. There is a wedding and all of that to still plan and pay for. :lol:
Plus, I want to organize and tighten up my setup for all of the plants before I start getting more.
By Supercazzola
elaineo wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:14 pm
Supercazzola wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:30 am Originally I thought there would be some interest in these plants, but nada. At least the year and some months I spent caring for them still gave me some joy.
IIRC, these are lowland hybrids that require supplemental heat + humidity, right? that might also limit your audience here.
Correct
By Intheswamp
I don’t know a lot about neps and I ain’t bashful about my ignorance. Them being lowland neps, does that mean they would be better suited for more warm and more humid conditions than highlands?
By specialkayme
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:41 am I don’t know a lot about neps and I ain’t bashful about my ignorance. Them being lowland neps, does that mean they would be better suited for more warm and more humid conditions than highlands?
As a general answer: "yes"

I've found highland and lowland to enjoy the same overall level of humidity. But then again I give my highlands 95% humidity at night and 75% during the day. But lowlands generally prefer much warmer temps, with less variation in temperature from day to night.

There is also considerable variation from one "lowland" to another "lowland", and even within each species of lowland. I have two amps that do fine in my intermediate to highland conditions (BM x Red, and BM), along with a gracilis and graciliflora. I've also had some lowland veitchii that did fine. Meanwhile a bical I had straight up died in record time (was not happy), and a khasiana seems slow growing and unhappy. Go figure though, as if the veitchii and gracilis are happy, the khasiana should be more than happy. And if the lowland amp can make it, the bical should too. But with the variations in each variety, it's sometimes a grab bag.
Intheswamp liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!