FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By elaineo
DragonsEye wrote:Take a shot after they have opened.
But I can't wait that long! if the flower is female, I need to start lining up gentlemen callers right NOW! what if the flower shrivels and dies without ever knowing the joys of pollination? :shock: :shock:
Lain, Panman, Camden liked this
By elaineo
Camden wrote:The more almond looking flower buds are female while the chestnut shaped ones are male. I think (but I may be wrong) it may be a male.
Upon closer inspection, it does seem male. Is it worth the hassle of saving pollen? I want to give this guy a haircut. Need to make room to bring other plants indoors.
By Camden
Well the question now is do you want seeds? If you do, then I would save pollen for a future cross. If not, you can chop off the flower and prune your plant. Collecting nep pollen isn’t too hard, however you’ll be collecting it for a while. Pluck off the flower when its ready, use a paintbrush or something to get the pollen onto a piece of wax paper, and store it in the fridge until more flowers are ready.
elaineo liked this
By elaineo
Camden wrote:Well the question now is do you want seeds? If you do, then I would save pollen for a future cross. If not, you can chop off the flower and prune your plant. Collecting nep pollen isn’t too hard, however you’ll be collecting it for a while. Pluck off the flower when its ready, use a paintbrush or something to get the pollen onto a piece of wax paper, and store it in the fridge until more flowers are ready.
I don't have any female neps, so if I saved the pollen it would only be if there's some sort of seed bank for nepenthes pollen that might want it. I tried to search for "nepenthes sperm bank" but, uhmmm, apparently people do weird stuff to plants.
By Camden
elaineo wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:53 pm
Camden wrote:Well the question now is do you want seeds? If you do, then I would save pollen for a future cross. If not, you can chop off the flower and prune your plant. Collecting nep pollen isn’t too hard, however you’ll be collecting it for a while. Pluck off the flower when its ready, use a paintbrush or something to get the pollen onto a piece of wax paper, and store it in the fridge until more flowers are ready.
I don't have any female neps, so if I saved the pollen it would only be if there's some sort of seed bank for nepenthes pollen that might want it. I tried to search for "nepenthes sperm bank" but, uhmmm, apparently people do weird stuff to plants.
Lol, you can put up a post on here, terraforms, ig, facebook, pretty anywhere with CP’s. I’ve seen some posts on terraforms recently talking about breeding nepenthes. If it were me I would let it flower just in case anyone wants to do a collab with my pollen. I don’t know how much you would care about seeds and/or need more space though. Your call.
elaineo liked this
By MikeB
If it was a male, your nose would confirm that as soon as you got anywhere near the plant (i.e., "Did the cat pee in this room?!").
elaineo liked this
By Bluefire
Man... I had a male Nepenthes bloom only earlier this year. I cut the flower before it opened because this was its second attempt so I knew it was male and had no females to pollinate with.
elaineo liked this
Unkown sarracenia

To me it looks like it definitely has some rubra[…]

Hello from the California!

Hi everyone, I'm a long-time carnivorous plant ent[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

My very first Mini bog way back from another site.[…]

SASE sent! Order number was included, but I forgot[…]

Thank you Aquis31 and Chef

That sounds amazing thank you! I don’t get m[…]

I was checking my plants before leaving for work[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!