FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By henrybcn
Hi All,

I have been reading a lot about my new Nepenthes and I would like to check a couple of things with you guys experts:

1. I should cut the pitchers that are dead right? Should I cut close to the earth? What do I do with the water inside some of the pitchers? Throw away? Throw it back to the plant? Do I cut as soon as the "tap" dries or wait?
2. Clear that only rain or destilate water, but should I spray in the plant, throw water in the whole plant or just in the earth?
3. I heard that would be good to spray water x orchids fertilizers every 3 weeks. Is that all good?
4. I have a very nice plant as it came from the flower shop, but I have a small issue to hang it (as the pitchers have 30 cms). I tought in changing the pot to a big glass pot. This glass pot (40 cms high), would have the bottom of stones, so I could see if there is water and I would put earth in the rest (about 90% of the volume). The bad thing is that the water would be very very controlled, but this would be humid all the time. Any thoughts?

Guys, I will put some pictures of the "project" as soon as i Get the answers.... And if I can divide my plant, I will love to share it with people that want (I am in Barcelona..... Not sure I can ship) :-)

Rgds,
Henry
By Aging_Bourbon
Hello and Welcome to Flytrapcare!

If you have any question feel free to ask and please don't be shy! You can search through the forums to find answers and look at the mainsite since Nepenthes care is somewhat related to take care of a Flytrap.
henrybcn wrote:1. I should cut the pitchers that are dead right? Should I cut close to the earth? What do I do with the water inside some of the pitchers? Throw away? Throw it back to the plant? Do I cut as soon as the "tap" dries or wait?
Yes, in general you can cut the dead pitchers. You have to cut at the leave we're the tendril starts (The vine thingy), You can throw the pitcher away.
henrybcn wrote:2. Clear that only rain or destilate water, but should I spray in the plant, throw water in the whole plant or just in the earth?
You got that right using Pure water (I.e Rain, Distilled, R.O), you don't have to spray your plants at all N. Alata does fine with low humidity. But I'm thing that your asking if you should put water in the pitchers right? Well Nepenthes create their own digestive fluid.
henrybcn wrote:3. I heard that would be good to spray water x orchids fertilizers every 3 weeks. Is that all good?
You can use Low strength Orchid fertilizer on it you can check by clicking on the "CLick here" Click here!
henrybcn wrote:4. I have a very nice plant as it came from the flower shop, but I have a small issue to hang it (as the pitchers have 30 cms). I tought in changing the pot to a big glass pot. This glass pot (40 cms high), would have the bottom of stones, so I could see if there is water and I would put earth in the rest (about 90% of the volume). The bad thing is that the water would be very very controlled, but this would be humid all the time. Any thoughts?
11.81 inches eh? That's a really good size for the pitchers! well if you want to hang it, get a hanging pot. But you have to know the size of the plant. I'm guessing a 6 or 8 inch pot would work in this case. Make sure you're using the right kinda soil! Low in nutrients. As for watering, you can water it like any other house plant I water mine 2-3 times week. An again humidity isn't really that important

Those are my opinions and lets someone else answer!

Good Luck!
Allen,
By Pat
As Allen said, use a hanging pot. I wouldn't suggest that you use the glass pot because Nepenthese like well drained soil. Get something with holes in the bottom to allow the exess water to run out.

Primuliflora is a warm temperate and may require a[…]

Nwpenthes grow tent help

I’ve seen people mention putting ice in with[…]

Cephalotus pitcher die off

I have a cephalotus that seems to have a lot of pi[…]

Just a short comment on the tent. Would Jade be[…]

When do I pot leaf pulls?

wait until the mother leaf is completely dry b[…]

Hello from the California!

Welcome. Be sure to check out the seedbank.

I pass on winning =) i just wanted to post a photo[…]

1 year old cape!

Wow! I wonder if you've found a plant with giganti[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!