FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Greenleaf_999
I got a typical from Lowe’s about 2 months ago. I’ve had it indoors under grow lights, I’m in the costal area of Texas, I fish every day of my life when I am not working, and I make sure my plants thrive as well. I have been told in the past about my fly traps I have killed over and over. At that point I was wasting my time and figured out that the grow lights and the water I was using was not good, and I took off for a couple of months and when I thought my plants were all dead under the yescom 225 red blue panels I had. They were actually thriving. A friend took care of the plants while I was out of town 9 hours away. It had me very very worried. I was annoying the friend I kept calling every day almost to remind her to water my plants. Well she forgot for the first week. Then the tray got filled, little did she know the plants sucked up all of the water in the tray, and wanted more the next day. I came home, I had a b52 with very deep maroon traps, I was very pleased with the results of the lights, but I was disappointed at my friend for never sending me any photos of my plants, I was anxious for many nights and could not sleep, so I decided to let my friend know not to watch my plants ever again, the media was bone dry once I got to the house, I have already started packing my things because I was moving to a new place and I had about 17 or so large boxes full of equipment for my plants, along with many grow lights I had in my grow room. Now My most recent plant has been sitting in a bowl of reverse osmosis water reading at 15 ppm. And I have a 13 watt grow light from Walmart that is on a timer from 6 am until midnight. It’s on a 18 hour photoperiod, and 6 hours of darkness. 475$ worth of plants died outdoors last year, due to the spider mites that attack any untreated plants during the spring and summer months. I keep my plants indoors, no problems at all. I am going to attach the photos I have of the progress of this plant.

Update: tapatalk wants me to get vip. So sadly I can’t upload multiple photos. Here is the most recent photo I have. This was from earlier tonight.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Panman
That plant looks awful pale. How close to the Yescom is it? Also, it is planted a little too deep. Where the leaves come off of the rhizome should be just below the surface of the soil.
By Greenleaf_999
Panman wrote:That plant looks awful pale. How close to the Yescom is it? Also, it is planted a little too deep. Where the leaves come off of the rhizome should be just below the surface of the soil.
It’s not. the growth point is very visible from looking at the plant from above, and if you tilt it, I can see very fresh new growth from where it’s at. And the light isn’t a yescom 225, my driver on that light came very near to causing a light show of sparks and caused a medium sized hole in my carpet that I had to replace. That light is done and over in the trash. I am using a feit electric 12 inch 13 watt grow light - that is the wattage showing on the power back up in the area it’s sitting in. All of the lights in that closet are at 60 actual watts total. The light is not far from the plant either. I’m getting pigmentation in the new traps that are forming.Image

By Greenleaf_999
Intheswamp wrote:Not dissing on your light but it looks far, far too high... :|
It’s all good. This is where I want it to stay, I have had this plant since it was at its worst. It looks good, I have plenty of color in the traps and the color starts spreading very fast once the "head" of the plant has risen up from the base of the leaf. It’ll get more and more color by 25% every day. I’m honestly. Thanks for the thought though man…

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!