FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By joecal87
Well my original plant I had ordered 4 days before finding fly trap store (somehow flytrapstore’s plant arrived much much quicker and first lol), has finally arrived. It’s called the Jersey Devil, being that I am in NJ it only seemed fitting to add this to my starting collection lol. Plus it is crossed with the Ginormous, so it is known to be a crazy grower as well. Still waiting on the other two.

I got this one from potted from California Carnivores. Their pot was not as attractive as Fly Trap Stores pots and it’s also smaller than Fly Trap Stores pots. However aside from that the dirt looks good and has some moss growing which I will leave since it’s not out of control. Upon unwrapping I thought it had white mold but thankfully i found a tiny spider it was his web. So that’s taken care of lol. The trap is definitely young but that’s all good and it has arrived in a dormant state as it should. They told me they got early frost so it already met the 6 week minimum but i will allow it to stay in dormancy and come put naturally. No sense in forcing it!
Attachments:
Jersey Devil Arrival
Jersey Devil Arrival
IMG_6780.jpeg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 944 times
MrB1664 liked this
By ChefDean
Good looking little plant. However, I'd remove that moss as it looks like it's beginning to choke out the growth point of the VFT. At least by the spring.
joecal87, tommyr liked this
By Panman
I agree with ChefDean. That's not sphagnum moss, so it isn't adding anything to the pot. Eventually it will create a thick mat that can be problematic.
joecal87 liked this
By joecal87
Panman wrote:I agree with ChefDean. That's not sphagnum moss, so it isn't adding anything to the pot. Eventually it will create a thick mat that can be problematic.
ChefDean wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:37 pm Good looking little plant. However, I'd remove that moss as it looks like it's beginning to choke out the growth point of the VFT. At least by the spring.

I decided to take your advice guys. Gave it a good trim. I didn’t go too crazy since I might repot in february but you guys were right there was a ton by the center. Also removed one blackened leaf and head. it def looks better and cleaner. to remove it completely would have taken a huge chunk out so i figured its better to wait for now.
Attachments:
IMG_6783.jpeg
IMG_6783.jpeg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 912 times
tommyr liked this
By joecal87
ChefDean wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:29 pm Definitely looks like it can breathe now. A repot in the spring will help it take off running.
perfect i’ll prob do that last week of february for that guy so by the time dormancy is over he’s set
By joecal87
so next week will be 3 months since getting the jersey devil. it has come
out of dormancy a few weeks ago in the first week of feb. it is currently eating again and growing like crazy!
Attachments:
IMG_7594.jpeg
IMG_7594.jpeg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 472 times
Hedonista, MikeB liked this
By ChefDean
I saw a post on FB about another Jersey Devil coming out of dormancy before anything else and just taking off running. Maybe time to look into getting one.
Panman liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!