FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By venus_flytrap_lover
Matt said that my Venus fly trap looks pretty healthy that it just needs light
By Solarin
I agree with Matt, the plant looks nice and healthy. A fluorescent lamp close to the new leaves may start putting a little color in their cheeks. This photo inspires me to try to grow a VFT on my desk at work. What a pleasant distraction not to mention attracting more people than flies. I really appreciate this photo. I wish you continued good luck in growing these gems.

Best regards,
Curtis
By Matt
It's funny that you mention a fluorescent lamp, Curtis. Here's what I emailed to Freddy:
Your venus fly trap looks pretty healthy, but it is definitely starving for light. You see how long and thin the leaf-bases are and how the growth looks "spindly"? That is indicative of a plant that is etiolated (receiving too little light). It looks like you are growing it on a desk in an office or something like that. If possible, try to put it in a sunny window or get a Compact Fluorescent Bulb and a lamp and put it right over the top of the plant (within 3 or 4 inches of it). That would definitely help it out a lot.
If I still had a desk job, I would definitely consider having a VFT on my desk. It would be a neat distraction for sure!
By WORMSS
Wow, I like how all yours have grown upwards... Mine all seem to go flat along the soil, my last one used to grow over the side of the pot, this one hasn't gotten to that stage yet...

Is there a trick to it? or is it just different variations do different things?
By Matt
WORMSS wrote:Wow, I like how all yours have grown upwards... Mine all seem to go flat along the soil, my last one used to grow over the side of the pot, this one hasn't gotten to that stage yet...

Is there a trick to it? or is it just different variations do different things?
Some plants grow upright year round, but most Venus Fly Traps put out upright leaves in spring and early summer. Then in later summer, they will put out the low lying leaves. But again, some plants put out low lying leaves all year.
By Kayota
I wish I could get a fluorescent lamp, I'd love to have a VFT at my desk! My rats would eat it though... -_-
By Carl
RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can I ask why you have rats on your desk? I take it you keep them as pets? Many years ago I kept rats great pets
By Kayota
They are my beloved pets, yes. :) They already took a chunk out of my bamboo plant, though.
By WORMSS
Need to get a metal mesh over the top me thinks?? with gabs big enough to let insects in, but keep the rats out..
By WORMSS
I am planning on having Ferrets one day, and I was wondering if I would need to have a similar thing for them too.
Might buy a cheap dying looking plant from my local 'HomeBase', who seem to not know how to care for them, and test one of them to see if ferrets will try and eat it or not.
By Kayota
I wouldn't, I've read that VFTs might be toxic to pets.
By Kayota
I... don't remember. It didn't kill them but it made them ill, so it's not of EXTREME importance. I THINK it was from Rice's site, though.

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!