FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By SnapSnapIOM
Just noticed this guy in a garden center where all the plants were in a bad way :(

Seeing as i dont have a Pinquicula i bought and saved them

I think its a Pinquicula Weser after looking at some photos online well am 99% sure

Any tips and tricks for this little guy ?

Is Grey about ? :)
By Grey
Congratulations on your new pinguicula! I can't offer any identification advice without a photograph, even then it is rather difficult due to the nature of pinguicula... until they have settled in a new environment and start active growth it can be very difficult to identify them - even then the easiest way to identify a ping is by its flowers.

I've noticed in the UK that stores often stock P. Moranensis so that would be my first guess as to its species - but again without photos I can't really say. Regardless it will likely be a mexican pinguicula which is the easiest variety to keep.

An easy and fast draining mix is preferable for mexican pinguicula as root rot is a common problem; I keep mine in a peat/perlite/sand mix. I water my pings once a week using the tray method but I also keep mine in seed trays that stack perfectly into their water tray so there is very little evaporation. You may have to water your ping once every three days but try not to keep the soil wet; mine are kept lightly moist.

During the colder months of the year (October through January) mexican pinguicula require a dry dormancy. This can be induced by a reduction in photoperiod, watering, a slight temperature drop (not essential but it will help) and lack of prey. You will know your plant is or is going dormant as it will stop producing carnivorous leaves and will grow thin, non-sticky leaves that stack onto eachother. Keep your plants lightly damp during this time. During the winter I will take photos of my dormant plants and add them to my website (see my signature for the site, which contains more info regarding pinguicula care). You can reverse this process to bring your pinguciula out of dormancy. I give mine the same dormancy period as my venus fly traps, although the triggers are different.

Give your ping as much light as physically possible and you may see a remarkable colour change in the plant; some turn pink, some turn purple, others red. It is perfectly normal for your pinguicula's leaves to pale in bright light but if they become transparent it means they are dying. Yellowing pinguicula leaves are also not normal and not a healthy sign.

Off the top of my head that's all I can type right now :lol:. Best of luck!
Grey liked this
By SnapSnapIOM
Yeah i just re checked and i think your right about the name

http://www.imagehosting.com/photo/img-0676?context=user

that's a photo of mine

I was thinking about bringing inside today because as you can see Grey the weather is terrible here today
SnapSnapIOM liked this
By Grey
Lovely! It's flowering! Talk about luck of the draw :lol: thanks a ton for the photo!

The flowers not pink enough for a P. Weser and are too bright for a P. Moranensis. I'm going to say you have a P. x Tina there; very easy to keep and can grow pretty big if cared for properly! You can bring it inside if you want to, mine enjoy the warmth and brightness of my windowsill; it does look like it needs a little more light.
By NathanG123
Nice out of all the plants I now realised i tortured a few years ago my ping was the only one that survived pings are great CP's ! nice website Grey i only realised you had one today :)
NathanG123 liked this

Intheswamp requests the pack of D. capensis "[…]

New donation

I'd like to thank thepitchergrower for his latest […]

1633 expired and canceled

This request has expired and been canceled, seeds […]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

NASC Auction

Moderators please remove if not allowed. . Terraf[…]

Intermedia

I may have made a mistake, but I did something. S[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!