FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By EddyDeWallyvis
Got my first Nepenthes a couple of days ago.

For its care, here's my plan of approach:

-Repotted it into a bigger pot
-Soil mixture is 50/50 peat and perlite
-Top water it with distilled water untill soil is fully saturated
-Outer tray for some extra humidity
-Since Nepenthes likes humidity, I place it in the bathroom for about 30min after showering. I don't use any chemicals like deodorant or air fresheners.
-After and before showering, I place it in direct sunlight from 7AM till 12PM, and indirect sunlight from 12PM till about 10PM.

Corrections, tips and tricks are always welcome!!!
Attachments:
First Nepenthes.jpg
First Nepenthes.jpg (3.75 MiB) Viewed 1030 times
By Panman
I wouldn't bother moving it from place to place. It will likely stress the plant. I would just add some pebbles or moss to the outer water tray to help increase humidity around the plant. You can also consider misting it a couple of times a day, but be sure to use a fine mister.
EddyDeWallyvis liked this
By EddyDeWallyvis
Panman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:12 pm I wouldn't bother moving it from place to place. It will likely stress the plant. I would just add some pebbles or moss to the outer water tray to help increase humidity around the plant. You can also consider misting it a couple of times a day, but be sure to use a fine mister.
Gotcha!!! Plants are masters of conditioning so indeed best to keep conditions the same as much as possible.
Was thinking the same to add some moss to the outer ring. Greatly increases watercarrying capacity. Picture added.
Can you tell me what to look for when the plant is doing well and what to look for when the plant is doing not so well?
Attachments:
Nepenthes with moss outer ring.jpg
Nepenthes with moss outer ring.jpg (6.38 MiB) Viewed 1004 times
By Panman
Looks good, but don't keep any water in that inner tray. Neps can't sit in water or they will get root rot. Expect older leaves to turn yellow and then brown. As long as there is new growth, and it is green and normal sized, the plant is doing well. It will produce pitchers when it has the right conditions, although it may take a month or two to settle in to its new environment. Leaves that are getting a reddish blush mean that the plant is getting more light than it needs. That's not a problem, but some people don't like the blush. When the plant is really happy, it will be producing pitchers and those will produce a lot of nectar.
By Panman
Peat/ perlite works, you just have to watch how you water more. I have some in both and I don't notice any difference in the plants. That being said, I only grow intermediates and entry level neps. Some of the more demanding plants may not like it.
Supercazzola liked this
By specialkayme
Panman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:10 pm Some of the more demanding plants may not like it.
Some of the more demanding plants definitely DON'T like peat moss.

Entry and easy neps you can usually get away with peat moss and perlite, just go easy on the watering. But almost every nep I've grow prefers sphagnum moss, with perlite/coconut chips mixed in. Some of the really picky neps prefer more perlite than sphagnum moss.

But mainly, observe what it's growing in now.
EddyDeWallyvis wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:15 pm Can you tell me what to look for when the plant is doing well
Good coloration on the leaves. You'll get used to the color that you like, but a rich green is usually good (varies a little on nepenthes to nepenthes). No brown spots on new growth/leaves. New leaves are larger in size than older leaves. There is little internodal spacing between leaves. Plant is pitchering.
EddyDeWallyvis wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:15 pmand what to look for when the plant is doing not so well?
Bad coloration on leaves. Too red means too much light. Too light green means too little light (usually). Brown tips means too much watering (usually). No pitchers usually means the plant is stressed, or not enough humidity, or occasionally not enough light. New leaves are twisted or small, means either too much watering or occasionally disease/parasites. Too much internodal spacing (stretching out early on) can mean too little light.

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

I sent it in the mail yesterday

CalCarn Hitchhiker

I agree with Shadow, it is too early to tell. How[…]

It isn't fully sealed, so it shouldn't be digestin[…]

So what would be the signs that I should not be us[…]

...maybe look at trading the VFT for a sundew. M[…]

Input on Neps placement

My traps and sundews do much better once they get[…]

SASE sent for April and May requests. Thanks Chef![…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!