FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
I am not an Orchid expert, I have one that I was able to get to bloom more than twice!!! However, in looking at the below web site, Phalaenopsis orchids appear to be minis. Pretty cool looking little things.
https://www.thesill.com/blog/orchids
By evenwind
Mass produced Phal hybrids usually come in two sizes - standard and mini. The standard ones have leaf spans of a foot or more and typically produce one large, long lasting, spray of 3"(or larger) blooms per year. The mini will have a much smaller leaf span - maybe 6" or less and are typically able to flower several times a year with smaller sprays of 2" flowers. A three inch pot probably contains the standard type but a pic would be helpful.
By DragonsEye
Like other plants, there is also the possibility that the plant was sprayed with compounds to dwarf it for a time and/or bloom at a much earlier stage. It couple also simply be a young plant. There are not many Phalaenopsis species which are true miniatures.
Garden_Nymph liked this
By Garden_Nymph
interesting. Thank you both. This place has 3 sizes from what I see. Premium which I assume is full size, tabletop (mine) and then mini. I assume mine, the tabletop is what they call a petite?
By madrone
I second both @evenwind and @DragonsEye. Especially the 'they may not stay that small, if they were sprayed to dwarf them'. I have several phals that I got as tiny 2" pots at Trader Joe's. They have since morphed into a 6"+ leaf span type plant. Now, whether that was maturing or outgrowing their treatment, I may never know, but I wouldn't expect a phal to stay tiny!
Garden_Nymph liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!