FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

FlytrapCare Forum periodic photo contests

Moderator: Matt

By Garden_Nymph
andynorth wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:28 pm This is my Gaya that I was able to bring back from the dead.
I would be interested to know how you brought it back. My Lady Luck is REALLY struggling. I repotted her so hoping she makes a come back but any other tips would be appreciated too.
By andynorth
Garden_Nymph wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:29 pm
andynorth wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:28 pm This is my Gaya that I was able to bring back from the dead.
I would be interested to know how you brought it back. My Lady Luck is REALLY struggling. I repotted her so hoping she makes a come back but any other tips would be appreciated too.
I pulled it out of the old soil it was in and switched to a non self watering pot. 1:1 peat and LFSM. I then put in a plastic bag and put on third shelf in my indoor greenhouse out of direct light. I added some water to the media to make sure it was damp but not soaked. I then added a bit of water to the bottom of the bag, closed it up and pretty much forgot about it for a couple months.
RH hits roughly between 85% to 90%. When I went to open the bag to allow some air to get in, I noticed it had a couple new pitchers so I removed at that point. I am thinking of putting it back in the bag as it seemed to do better when I did not mess with it. Not saying it will work but definitely worth a try if you are about to lose your plant. I had pretty much decided to stop trying to grow Neps because they kept dying off on me. Since I saved this one I might try my hand again with Neps in the future. Hope this helps and good luck saving your plant.
Garden_Nymph liked this
By Garden_Nymph
Thank you so much! I will put her in the baggie. Between being on my western facing patio and getting sunburned and then she kept drying out way too fast in the orchid pot I had her in she is pretty unhappy with me. Her leaf tips turn brown and eventually the whole leaf does. I repotted her in a clay pot in the LFS and she is growing a few new leaves but even one of those looks like its trying to brown. I have had her for a few years at least and its just been since last summer that she has been this way. I will try anything to save my baby. :D

sorry to have interrupted the contest :oops: ty
andynorth liked this
By Panman
Halfway through our contest this month, and here are the standings:
Camden 8
Bluefire 7
hollyhock 6
-Stanley- 5
Optique 5
Panman 5
DewsandTraps 4
andynorth 3
Stratofortress 3
elaineo 2

It is still a very close contest and there is plenty of time for you to submit your photo! As always, be sure to look over all of our entries and vote for your favorites.
By Panman
Just over 1 week remaining in the contest. I actually quite surprised that we haven't had more entries. Here are today's standings:
Camden 8
Bluefire 7
-Stanley- 6
hollyhock 6
Optique 5
Panman 5
DewsandTraps 4
andynorth 3
Stratofortress 3
elaineo 2

Be sure to check out all of our entries and vote for your favorites!
By DragonsEye
andynorth wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:57 pm I pulled it out of the old soil it was in and switched to a non self watering pot. 1:1 peat and LFSM. I then put in a plastic bag and put on third shelf in my indoor greenhouse out of direct light. I added some water to the media to make sure it was damp but not soaked. I then added a bit of water to the bottom of the bag, closed it up and pretty much forgot about it for a couple months.
In orchid circles, this method is referred to typically as the sphag-n-bag method( sans peat moss).
Panman liked this
By Panman
Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we have a tie for first place! Here are the standings:
Bluefire 8
Camden 8
hollyhock 7
-Stanley- 6
DewsandTraps 5
Optique 5
Panman 5
andynorth 3
Stratofortress 3
elaineo 2

I don't like doing run-offs, so if you haven't voted yet, vote and pick us a clear winner!
By Panman
EDIT: I am sorry, I made a mistake in determining this month's winner. Bluefire was a winner in our December contest, so is not eligible for the March prize. That means that this month's winner is:
@Camden, congratulations. PM me for details on claiming your prize.
By Bluefire
Congrats! I actually forgot entirely about the fact I got a prize in December and also blanked out about the existence of this contest after I entered. Didn't realize I wasn't eligible, but since I'm bad with flytraps I would've forfeited the prize anyway.
Panman liked this
By Panman
Bluefire wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:10 pm Congrats! I actually forgot entirely about the fact I got a prize in December and also blanked out about the existence of this contest after I entered. Didn't realize I wasn't eligible, but since I'm bad with flytraps I would've forfeited the prize anyway.
I still encourage everyone to participate in the contest. To me the prize is only a small part of it. The bigger part of the contest is to see what everyone else has going on. People who are ineligible still can participate, but normally I do a better job of filtering everything when it comes to declaring the winner.
andynorth liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!