FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By John W
Hello, there are plenty of similar topics, but I haven’t seen anything exactly like this.

I have a smaller 2x2 grow tent. I started monitoring the temperature and realized when I cool it with a fan out the top, I lose all my humidity, and the humidifier runs all day. So I was trying to figure out ways to lower the temperature a few degrees without losing the humidity.

My thought process is to make something similar to a water cooler CPU system for the light, as the light (mars hydro) produces the majority of the heat.

I am a machinist so am able to create a custom water block manifold for the light - applying thermal glue to ensure it transfers heat properly, then have a pump and cooling radiator / fan outside the tent.

Pump will run the water through the manifold, and hot water will cool off in the radiator outside the tent.

Hoping this might lower temperature 5 degrees F during the lights run time (from 85 to 80). Not sure if it would have any effect during lights out, even 1-2 degrees would be neat.

Open to other ideas, I am familiar with peltier cooling but not sure how that would work in a tent as I usually see this online with glass terrariums.

Thank you very kindly.
Panman liked this
By NightRaider
Have you tried venting the top without running a fan? Hot air rises and all that, so it's possible you could see some heat reduction without blowing all your humidity out with it. I do that on a smaller scale with a 15 gallon terrarium, and I only lose a bit of humidity while it still drops several degrees. Don't know how different it may be being different materials though, but I think it'd be worth a try at least if you haven't already.
By John W
Yeah I am currently running it with an open top and just a fan inside circulating air - humidity goes up and down all day, and from experimenting, although it’s not just terrible.

With a closed top and fan circulating inside I will peak at 92 degrees during the day, pretty much never have to refill humidifier.

Open top with fan sucking air out, temperature peaks at 82-83 but humidifier goes on all day long - probably runs through about a gallon of water.

Open top with the fan just circulating air internally, temperature peaks at 84-86, humidifier probably takes 3 days to run through a gallon or so

I will also add on that the light by itself raises temperature up from 70-72 to 78 in about an hour, then slowly up from there
NightRaider liked this
Peter D'Amato passed today

I'm sorry to hear this.

Hello from Chicago, Illinois.

I'm just starting out with carnivorous plants &[…]

Has anyone heard about this population of giant tr[…]

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!