FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cue
Hello. I have now lost about 85% of my pinguicula collection to crown rot. I have tried everything from less water to better air flow, to quarantine. I’m now debating throwing out the remnants my current collection and taking a break for some time, as it seems I’m getting the same answers over and over to problems that have already been resolved.

Here is the current information on their husbandry:

They are allowed 2-3 days of drying time in-between waterings.
Watered with dechlorinated tap water (TDS of 50, everyone around here uses tap water), the water is never allowed to make contact with the pings or stone while pouring.
They are open to the air at all times; I open my windows for about 30min - 1 hour at night.
They are kept on whole pumice stones in food-safe pottery bowls.
They are ‘fed’ the fungus gnats that live in my fish tanks and vivariums.
I do not know the exact specifications of the lights, but I used them successfully for my succulent collection for several years. They are also next to West-facing windows.
They all have healthy root systems and are very difficult to pull off once dead or dying.
They go dormant around early-mid summer, when our AC comes on,
and wake up around early September.
They are guarded by a small cat figurine named Mr. Wheeze.

The most recent victim was one of my first pings from approximately 2 years ago, a very healthy esseriana.

By Panman
What you describe doesn't sound like crown rot but rather Browning Heart Disease. That is a fungal infection that is soil borne. I don't know if will live on pumice, but I see moss on there that could be a host. Unfortunately, once the heart turns brown the only thing that can be done is to try and propagate through leaf pullings but damaged leaves likely won't strike. You might consider treating all of the stones that you have lost plants on with a fungicide.
roarke liked this
By Cue
Good to know. How would one treat with fungicide and what specific fungicide would you recommend? How does it occur, will I have to permanently un-moss them? The moss is the result of random spores, not placed there. How should I prevent this in the future?
By Lain
I am by no means an expert so take this with a grain of salt. I have used the typical sulfur without harm but others say it killed their pings.

It does sound a lot like browning heart disease. After reading a lot of old posts I've come across only two others besides myself that use something that kills fusarium the cause of bhd. It hasn't harmed our pings and one person says he hasn't had bhd since he started to use it. I use it out of precaution but I can't say as to whether it's useful or not. I also can't guarantee it won't harm your pings either since I know of only 3 people to have used it.

If you aren't international I'd he happy to send you some if you're interested in trying.
By Cue
I don’t have much left to loose so I do appreciate the information even if it’s conditional! I’m just very cautious about the fungicide because I have many small critters in the same room with delicate respiratory systems, and fish tanks. I’d like to see if it’s something I can find myself for now, especially because I want to know exactly what is in it. I’ll do some looking around though.
By Lain
Sent you a pm with the info. I just don't want people using something experimental and blaming me if their pings die so that's why I'm hesitant to post it.
Panman liked this
By madrone
@Lain - I'd also be interested in knowing more about your sulphur application methods. I have had issues (at times) with pots of very young plants developing rapid issues. In a fit of desperateness I applied sulphur to the media (but of course cannot entirely avoid some overspray onto plants) - I was successful, but am interested in learning about other methods of application. I totally swear not to hold anyone responsible if I decide to experiment with my own plants!!! :D
By Lain
madrone wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:06 am @Lain - I'd also be interested in knowing more about your sulphur application methods.
I'm happy to share how I apply sulfur to my ping pots I've had a few situations during acclimation I'd forget about humidity levels. It might not be worth the effort though! If it's larger patches away from pings I take fine aquarium tweezers and just drop small amounts directly on the mold in dry form then I take a syringe with a 23ga needle and drip some distilled water directly on it to dissolve it in. If it's a tiny spot by the pings then I mix it into liquid form and use same type of syringe and drip it directly onto the mold.

If you're interested in browning heart disease treatment/preventative just drop me a pm and I'd be happy to pass on the info to you.
By madrone
Lain wrote:I'm happy to share how I apply sulfur to my ping pots
That sounds like a much more specific application method than mine - I appreciate the details! I haven't suffered from browning heart in my collection yet, but I'd love to have a treatment in my back pocket - I'll be in touch.
By elaineo
@Lain, can you share your sulfur application method with me too? Also, I am curious whether you grow your tropical pings outdoors or inside. Mine always seem to chug along for about a year, then become tired of living.
By madrone
elaineo wrote:@Lain, can you share your sulfur application method with me too? Also, I am curious whether you grow your tropical pings outdoors or inside. Mine always seem to chug along for about a year, then become tired of living.
I hope Lain chimes in with their cultural conditions, but FWIW mine spend the summer outside (north-facing patio, shaded by the house) and the winter inside under grow lights. They do get a 'succulent' phase (due to seasonal changes). From your zone, I imagine you are a bit warmer than I, but well within their happy-temperature-zone? My oldest ping (in my care, and it was probably several years old when I received it) was purchased in 2015.
elaineo liked this
By elaineo
madrone wrote: I hope Lain chimes in with their cultural conditions, but FWIW mine spend the summer outside (north-facing patio, shaded by the house) and the winter inside under grow lights. They do get a 'succulent' phase (due to seasonal changes). From your zone, I imagine you are a bit warmer than I, but well within their happy-temperature-zone? My oldest ping (in my care, and it was probably several years old when I received it) was purchased in 2015.
Warm in the daytime, but we do get a temperature drop at night (down to the 50s). I wonder if my ping deaths are caused by insufficient food, insufficient air flow, or insufficient seasonal variation. It manifests as brown rot, but they don't happen all at once despite being in close proximity to each other.
By madrone
elaineo wrote:Warm in the daytime, but we do get a temperature drop at night (down to the 50s).
That sounds like my conditions - summers are 75-85 (sometimes 90s) and into the mid-50s at night. We get about three months of that. Then it's dull, dreary, damp, dim - and altogether a great place to grow moss, but not much else (I am being a bit dramatic).

It's not clear to me how 'mandatory' a succulent season is for pings - I couldn't stop them from doing it if I tried. It could be air flow I guess ... what kind of media do you use?
elaineo liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!