FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the UK or EU

Moderator: Matt

By elaineo
Aozora wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:26 pm so i just received my package, and it turns out i just paid €12 for two single heads of red sphagnum.

in my experience the site above can not be recommended.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Cox Nature sells single sphagnum heads because that's the part that is used for new growth. It is more like buying seeds than buying whole plants. I guess he needs to do a better job of communicating what he is selling.
By Aozora
it turned out that all species except for the ones i ordered mentioned in the description that it was only single heads for sale, that has been (or soon will be) fixed on the website.

the website is great for educational purposes and has a wide variety of species, but is not suited for bulk or immediate use. growing from a single head might take me 3-5 years to fill the top of one of my seedling pots :S
By Z_Y
Can you take a picture of what you received? I'm curious to see just how red these sphagnum bits are. For that price you paid these better be the reddest sphagnum in the world :shock:

Also looking at my pots of red sphagnum, I think I'm now rich :lol:
By elaineo
Aozora wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:03 pm
the website is great for educational purposes and has a wide variety of species, but is not suited for bulk or immediate use. growing from a single head might take me 3-5 years to fill the top of one of my seedling pots :S
Which species did you buy? For fast-growing species like cristatum, I can go from a single head to filling the top of a 2" seedling pot in a few weeks.
By Aozora
elaineo wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:21 am
Aozora wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:03 pm
Which species did you buy? For fast-growing species like cristatum, I can go from a single head to filling the top of a 2" seedling pot in a few weeks.
Sphagnum medium, P35, apparently from estonia. its supposed to be a fast and large growing species, but so far i have seen no new growth :(
By Aozora
Z_Y wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:53 am Can you take a picture of what you received? I'm curious to see just how red these sphagnum bits are. For that price you paid these better be the reddest sphagnum in the world :shock:

Also looking at my pots of red sphagnum, I think I'm now rich :lol:
Ill try and see if i can take a picture of it, but the heads came in green and actually still are, even though they get 6-8 hours of direct sunlight.
By elaineo
Aozora wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:39 am
Sphagnum medium, P35, apparently from estonia. its supposed to be a fast and large growing species, but so far i have seen no new growth :(
Are you using a growbox? Sphagnum likes to be surrounded by other sphagnum (even if it's dead sphagnum).
By Aozora
elaineo wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:15 pm
Aozora wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:39 am
Are you using a growbox? Sphagnum likes to be surrounded by other sphagnum (even if it's dead sphagnum).
i put them in a recently started new sphagnum culture, using a clear tub with a bottom layer of peat, a layer of dead sphagnum moss and then a layer of freshly harvested heads from another culture. keeping it nice and moist but not standing in water.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!