FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Bigtrap
what type of flytrap do you think it is?
Attachments:
!BSHYYTwBmk~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLmJg8nBKBjrpQlqw~~_1.jpg
!BSHYYTwBmk~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLmJg8nBKBjrpQlqw~~_1.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
By Steve_D
Bigtrap wrote:what type of flytrap do you think it is?

I don't know-- Low Giant, Fine Tooth x Red or Big Mouth? Is it prostrate because of spring or does it grow that way all year?

Great looking Flytrap-- :D
By Bigtrap
Steve_D wrote:
Bigtrap wrote:what type of flytrap do you think it is?

I don't know-- Low Giant, Fine Tooth x Red or Big Mouth? Is it prostrate because of spring or does it grow that way all year?

Great looking Flytrap-- :D
i dont know this is a guys plant who lives in sebring florida, he sells flytraps, he crosses them all the time so he doesnt know what any of them are. it looks green red yellow orange,
By Steve_D
Regarding that Flytrap, it's hard to tell what it may be from just one photograph at one time of year. Sometimes one has to observe a plant during the season and for a long time to distinguish one named clone from another. Red Piranha is fairly easy, but I have a Red-Piranha-like seedling that may grow up to resemble the original clone (or may be better!) :)

Anyway, the plant in the photo may simply be a nice Typical. But most Flytraps were "Typicals" before they were named. The B52 is a seed-produced plant that just happened to have some superior characteristics, so it was cloned and now all of us can enjoy it. If you get a division of this Flytrap and live with it for a couple years or more, and it seems superior or unique or special to you, you could name it, then start selling or giving away divisions, or sending it off to be tissue cultured, whatever-- :D

There are lots of special Venus Flytrap clones now, but there's always room for more. :P
By italo.americano
Bigtrap,

Beautiful picture!

I would definitely contact the seller again and ask him what type it is. If he is unable to provide you with an answer again, then I would just go ahead and name it typical.

Because there is so much ambiguity going on right now with the naming of cultivars, it is better not to add to the confusion and just call your plant a typical.

Giovanni
By grant
Steve_D wrote: Is it prostrate because of spring or does it grow that way all year?
Are you refering to the new growth which is very red?
By Steve_D
grant wrote:Are you refering to the new growth which is very red?

Hi Grant-- I meant the ground-hugging, broad petioles in the photo. If it grows that way all year, it looks like Big Mouth or Low Giant (or any of a number of other plants that tend to have prostrate rosettes). But if the leaves grow taller and thinner in summer, then it could be a B52 or any of a number of other clones or typicals (although it looks like it might have been chosen for its non-typical large traps). :)

I heard that keeping your Venus fly trap outdoors […]

Hello from New England

I just got my first Venus fly trap and want to mak[…]

Input on Neps placement

Would you folks recommend putting my plants outdoo[…]

should be fine, springtails make their way into co[…]

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

You should check Craig's List for plastic, food-g[…]

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!