FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By pandaking666
Hello all,
I brought in my bog pot cause the extreme heat in Houston was cooking my vft, sarr, and sundews. I'm looking to get an LED solution for around $150 from amazon. The pot measures around 2 ft in diameter. Right now it has a 2 ft T5 6400 bulb I use to germinate seedlings on it but its not doing much. What would you all suggest?
By pandaking666
Panman wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:52 pm How big is the container? You can get a Yescom 225 that will work well. It isn't high tech, but it definitely does the job.
Hi :D The Pot is 2 ft in diameter
By Panman
With that size pot, you could use 1 Yescom 225 about 10 to 12 inches above the plants. They are pretty inexpensive and a good way to get started in artificial light.
By pandaking666
Panman wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:55 pm With that size pot, you could use 1 Yescom 225 about 10 to 12 inches above the plants. They are pretty inexpensive and a good way to get started in artificial light.
ok cool other question should i go with red blue, purple, multicolor, or white? Like i said im new at this.
By Intheswamp
Well, it depends. ;) For me, I like to look at what I'm growing in a fairly normal light color. I went with white. These will probably be used in conjunction with my other oddball lights for wintering. I just got them and have only plugged them in to be sure they were DOA. I'm a relatively newbie at CP lighting, though.
By Panman
I have white and blue/white. The white are great and the plants respond well. It is also easy to photograph with them. The blue/white also grow the plants well. I think it makes them a little redder. Looking at the plants, my brain adjusts the colors so it seems normal but it doesn't take photos well.
By Z_Y
IMO don't do purple or anything that doesn't look natural. It makes it much harder to spot issues like browning leaves or dying sphagnum early on because it's just hard to see. And it makes it impossible to display your plants. Plus modern studies show that plants don't just use blue and red wavelengths, they use a bit of everything.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!