FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
I just purchased the below pools so I can start getting my plants out of dormancy here soon. I bought these as I will be able to utilize my cages and cover them to keep the critters out while also keeping water contained. This is, of course, in lieu of my greenhouse I intend to purchase and build once I am able as I am still on disability and I need to do something as spring is fast approaching. Suggestions and or comments are very welcome.

https://www.amazon.com/H2OGO-First-Fram ... 059&sr=8-2
MikeB liked this
By Intheswamp
Will the sandbox part hold water? You could always line it with some plastic sheeting if it doesn't. Are you going to put them on poured cement or on the ground? Use a good ground cloth, maybe get a bag of sand to level any holes out that you encounter. Keep us posted on how they do. If they can handle young kids playing in them they oughta do you *real* good!!! :D
By andynorth
I am hoping it holds water. I was thinking if it holds sand it should hold water also. It will be on grass. I have a nice flat spot picked out where they will get morning sun and afternoon sun which is partially shaded during peak heat times. I can not do too much until after surgery since my back is screwed up but I will be adding drain holes a couple inches up on each side. I have to make some water proof stands for my smaller pots to set on but other than that I am hoping it is a fairly easy solution for now.
By andynorth
elaineo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:46 am That seems like a lot for a pool. Do your local hardware stores carry these cheap ones? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Summer-Wave ... /317025815
They do. But these are 7'x4'x12" square total. I really need square so my squirrel cages can mount easily over/around utilizing zip ties on the poles. Plus they are not going to break down as quick from being in the sun. Size wise I would need at least 2 of the plastic pools.
elaineo liked this
By optique
if you can come close to filling the hard shell pool you shouldn't need a cage. Most critters around me will avoid the terrain that creates. Also that flexible plastic wont last long compared to a double stacked hard pool. Imagine cutting the grass around it.
elaineo liked this
By Panman
elaineo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:46 am That seems like a lot for a pool. Do your local hardware stores carry these cheap ones? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Summer-Wave ... /317025815
I looked all over for these last year and couldn't find them. They didn't even show up in my searches. It says there are some in stock at a nearby store so I'm going to check them out tomorrow.
elaineo liked this
By ChefDean
Most of these kiddie pools will only last a couple of years anyway, so go cheap. Look at Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, or similar stores. Depending on where I looked, I found 3 -4 foot wide pools for $8 - $12 bucks.
Intheswamp liked this
By andynorth
optique wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:42 am if you can come close to filling the hard shell pool you shouldn't need a cage. Most critters around me will avoid the terrain that creates. Also that flexible plastic wont last long compared to a double stacked hard pool. Imagine cutting the grass around it.
Squirrels here almost walk in my darn house. They are not even afraid of my dog. With the money I have invested in my plants I do not want to chance what they "shouldn't do". They were all huddled together on my picnic table last season and they decimated several. $50 bucks is nothing to the several hundred and time I have invested. If they only last through this summer that is OK as I am hoping to have a greenhouse set up by end of summer. No grass in the area they are going. It's my old garden that is no longer in use. I do however appreciate the advice.
By andynorth
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:10 pm With the number of plants that you're growing, Andy, you really need to consider something like "Panman's Squirrel Defense 5000". I need to do something myself, being as I'm pretty sure I've outgrown my small cages.
Yes, but again, I plan to put up a greenhouse if all goes well. I do like the squirrel defense 5000, if I were not in such a rain soaked environment. A greenhouse will provide more protection from the torrential rains we get around here in the winter/spring and many times throughout the summer. I might place it close enough to my house that I can run power to. Either that or once I am able I can dig a trench and bury power cable out to it. Not too far to go. If not for my back being messed up and me being on disability I would already have one put up. I had one of those corrugated fiberglass one up for years but it became storage after a while and then I ended up tearing it down as it was pretty much on its last legs. It lasted about 25 years, albeit turning green and needing pressure washed almost yearly when in use. I will need to be sure I put moss/mold protection on my next one.
By Intheswamp
Panman wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:11 pm This year the Squirrel Defense 5000 may be making a comeback. The tree rats made a nuisance of themselves this fall.
Uh oh.

I must say, though I see one here and there, I'm not seeing as many tree rats happily hopping along as in the past. The old feral tomcat that has adopted us may have laid the law down to them. Btw, from a feral tom that wouldn't get 20 feet from you, to this :roll: He's a big ol' block-headed cat. My wife has given him the keys to the place.<sigh> He's still a bit jumpy, but having survived a few years with the coyotes around here he's got a right to be looking over his shoulder! The granddaughters are coming tomorrow to spend Saturday night with us...he usually disappears for a day or so when they come...we'll see how he does this time. :mrgreen:
Attachments:
IMG_5353a (Custom).JPG
IMG_5353a (Custom).JPG (547.48 KiB) Viewed 534 times
By Intheswamp
In regards to the plastic kiddie pools. I believe SNW lines there's with black plastic to keep the solar radiation from baking the plastic. I think I saw a Youtube where one of them commented that it added several years to the pools' lives.
optique, andynorth liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!