FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Spunro
repotting my pitcher plants, flytraps and sundews soon and was wondering if this pot size is ideal
Attachments:
IMG_6143.jpeg
IMG_6143.jpeg (223.25 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
By Panman
That is a great size for all of those. I like how deep it is. It makes it easier to maintain the water. Some sarrs will ultimately outgrow that pot, but flytraps and sundews will be fine.
Spunro liked this
By Spunro
i was definitely thinking these would be a good option as theyre quite deep, also theyre the most affordable pots of a good size i can find on amazon at the moment
By Panman
That is about the size I use for the majority of my plants. they are 3.5" square x 6" deep. Sarrs will appreciate the extra leg room.
Spunro liked this
By andynorth
Spunro wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:00 pm repotting my pitcher plants, flytraps and sundews soon and was wondering if this pot size is ideal
By chance have a link to that specific pot? I searched and can not find and could also use some of them. TY
By Spunro
andynorth wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:59 pm
Spunro wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:00 pm repotting my pitcher plants, flytraps and sundews soon and was wondering if this pot size is ideal
By chance have a link to that specific pot? I searched and can not find and could also use some of them. TY
heres the link https://www.amazon.co.uk/OFFSCH-Seedlin ... bXRm&psc=1
By andynorth
Ah, UK. That is why I am unable to locate!! Thank you

For those of us in the US market, here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/GANAZONO-Seedlin ... 184&sr=8-3

Also available in 4" x 12".
https://www.amazon.com/Sosoport-Seedlin ... 184&sr=8-9
Spunro liked this
By Intheswamp
Andy, have you used any of these? I think I've seen some reviews with issues concerning the thickness of these. ?
By MikeB
andynorth wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:52 pm They do look a bit flimsy.
I usually see tree seedlings potted in these. They don't need a whole lotta room to spread out, but they do need the depth. As long as you can get adequate drainage through just 4 holes, they should work for smaller plants. When the Sarracenia get bigger, their rhizomes will probably crack the sides of the pots if you don't catch them early enough.

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that Sarracenia tend to do a lot of rhizome growth during the winter? So far, I've found 2 flava, 1 leuco, and 1 moorei plant with oval pots. Their rhizomes hit opposite sides and started pushing hard. They were fine this past summer.
andynorth wrote: If I were to get them I would have to paint them as I use only white potters now.
I've tried the paint 'em white routine, and it didn't hold up that well. Even though I used paint made to adhere to plastic, and it had primer included, the paint job only held up for a couple years before starting to flake off.

Now I put a white board or plastic sheet across the sunny side to block the light from shining on the pots. In the winter, I take it down so the sun can warm them a bit during the cold weather.
andynorth, Spunro liked this
By Spunro
Intheswamp wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:05 pm Andy, have you used any of these? I think I've seen some reviews with issues concerning the thickness of these. ?

they came today and are very thin but quite flexible so i think theyll do the job? i think ill repot my plants on the weekend and see how it goes
By evenwind
The problem with flexible pots is that every time you pick them up, you squeeze the medium, possibly disturbing the root system. Be very gentle.
Spunro, Intheswamp liked this
By Spunro
Spunro wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:28 pm
Intheswamp wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:05 pm Andy, have you used any of these? I think I've seen some reviews with issues concerning the thickness of these. ?

they came today and are very thin but quite flexible so i think theyll do the job? i think ill repot my plants on the weekend and see how it goes
update, ive decided to send them back after realising theyd fall over quite easily outside

ill just have to try and find 6” tall pots elsewhere? i cant seem to find any at all
By Panman
You will need to do some searching off of Amazon. I would start by searching for a greenhouse supply stores and hydroponic supply stores. That is where I get mine. You can also try searching on #1 nursery pots. Those are the large pots but often companies that carry them carry other sized pots.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!