FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
I've got two options on hand for pots. One is a round 6"diameter x 5.5"deep pot, it has good drainage but I usually drill a 1/4" hole on each side of these pot just above the bottom for added drainage. The other one is 2.75" square by 3" deep and has really good drainage, no mods required for these.

I'm thinking the most seeds that I will put in a single pot will be around between 10 and 15. I'd prefer the smaller pots due to the more efficient use of potting mix and space. But if they germinate successfully how quickly will the sarrs reach the 3" depth? Would the 3" be too shallow, too quick? The bigger pot would give them more elbow and root room but would require more resources, which is not a deal killer. Just trying to be efficient here. Thoughts? Thanks!
By ChefDean
If I'm looking to keep them separate, easier te prevent crowding, I've had some decent success with the plastic shot glasses from the dollar store. Gently drill some 1/8th inch drain holes, three seeds spread out along the edge, and you're set.
Then, when they grow, they're very simple to slip pot into a a bigger pot. If they don't, you've not wasted too much media.
By Intheswamp
Is the tangling enough to be something to avoid?

Just looking I've got some old, thin-plastic seedling 4-packs that are 2"w x 3-1/4"d. Maybe go with a couple of seeds per hole?

Lastly, I've got some 2" deep food storage containers I could use. If two inches deep would be good enough for a year or so then that would be my choice...plenty of room to spread the seeds out so little tangling would happen. Do you think one of these options would work better? :?
By Intheswamp
ChefDean wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:07 pm If I'm looking to keep them separate, easier te prevent crowding, I've had some decent success with the plastic shot glasses from the dollar store. Gently drill some 1/8th inch drain holes, three seeds spread out along the edge, and you're set.
Then, when they grow, they're very simple to slip pot into a a bigger pot. If they don't, you've not wasted too much media.
That's a thought. Hmmm, what about some coffee pods? These are 1-3/4" x 1-3/4"....???
IMG_1001 (Custom).JPG
IMG_1001 (Custom).JPG (239.8 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
By elaineo
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:37 pm That's a thought. Hmmm, what about some coffee pods? These are 1-3/4" x 1-3/4"....???
IMG_1001 (Custom).JPG
my main problem with very small pots is that i tend to knock them over. seed trays are the better option, IMO.

Now, if i'm being honest, i usually throw an entire seed pack into a 2.5" pot, and let Future-Me deal with the mess.
By elaineo
one time i actually went through the buttpain of placing two seeds per cell in a 72-cell seedling tray. The seedlings germinated, outgrew the tray, and that's when I realized that I did not have 72 pots for their next home. So I ended up cramming them all back into communal pots.
andynorth, Intheswamp liked this
By MikeB
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:14 pm Is the tangling enough to be something to avoid?
International Carnivorous Plant Society
Growing Sarracenia from Seed

Not only is it a pain to separate them later, but when they're packed together like sardines in a can, they don't grow as fast. Also, they're much more susceptible to fungal attacks, which can quickly wipe out an entire pot.
Intheswamp liked this
By andynorth
Speaking of outgrowing its pot, my moss has gone nuts. I need my other plants to get big enough to use some for top dressing. And yes, some of the tips are turning brown but not sure why. They are under filtered light. I just wish my red moss would take off like this has. That stuff takes some time to grow.
Attachments:
20231109_154828.jpg
20231109_154828.jpg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 1028 times
By steve booth
I grow in square pots (save space) and start seedlings in 3" sq x 4" deep pots, with about 25 seeds per pot. Let them grow for 2 and possibly 3 years then repot. To separate them, I soak the pots for 10 mins or so in rainwater, then knock the pot out, and generally the medium flattens out and spreads the plants and roots so you can pick them out. You can sometimes get root tangling, but at that stage, they only have 2 or 3 main roots, so some gentle tugging generally sorts that out.
Cheers
Steve
Intheswamp, andynorth liked this
By Intheswamp
I hope to get to plant a few seeds today. I found an unopened pack of 5 food containers that measure 8x7 and 2-3/4" deep. I think it's a toss-up between the small 2.5" pots (2-3 seeds per pot) and the trays. The caution of tangling is appreciated as is the idea of just tossing all the seeds in a single small pot and figuring it out later. ;) I really don't have that many seeds to plant...ten of one type and maybe 20 of another. Just hoping for a couple of good specimens (plants, that is! :mrgreen: ). ;)
By andynorth
steve booth wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:03 am I grow in square pots (save space) and start seedlings in 3" sq x 4" deep pots, with about 25 seeds per pot. Let them grow for 2 and possibly 3 years then repot. To separate them, I soak the pots for 10 mins or so in rainwater, then knock the pot out, and generally the medium flattens out and spreads the plants and roots so you can pick them out. You can sometimes get root tangling, but at that stage, they only have 2 or 3 main roots, so some gentle tugging generally sorts that out.
Cheers
Steve
Great idea. I never thought of that but it makes sense. Now I need to replace all my round pots. :D Well, maybe start using square ones moving forward.
By Intheswamp
Well, I ended up putting the seeds in the 2-1/2" pots...the S. exornata "Many Herrera"'s got 3 seeds to the pot and the early harvest S. (leuco x oreo) x (oreo x leuco) from Chef got ten in a single pot. We'll see how this turns out. All seeds got right at two months of stratification.
IMG_3555app (Custom).jpg
IMG_3555app (Custom).jpg (540.03 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Is this a steal?

That larger one is quite nice for that price, yes,[…]

Is This What To Look For?

I have decided since my first attempt worked out s[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!