FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Freebies, raffles, etc. for plants or growing supplies

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
I’m sure you all fondly remember the pic of Drosera aliciae that tens units of you voted the “Best Looking Plant Ever” in one of Panguy’s recent contests. Anyhow, fame has given her an even larger ego and the rest of my collection have voted to send her on her way.
aliciae.jpg
aliciae.jpg (254.86 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
So a Giveaway! Yay!

The rules: You must have a US mailing address. You must have been a registered member of the Forum for at least four weeks, so let's say, June 3 or earlier. You will pay $5 towards the shipping (unless you need it faster or better, then we’ll talk about it).

And to make it more game-ly (game-ish?): You must sing a verse (and chorus!) of your favorite sea shanty (everybody’s got a favorite, I assume?), loudly and with gusto in your living area, preferably by an open window for the benefit of the neighbors. If you honestly feel your voice is sub-par, then you can play said shanty on your fiddle, hornpipe, concertina, tuba or other seaman-like instrument. Once you are content with your performance, you enter your name on the next available line. Remember to add the name of your shanty, so the rest of us can appreciate your good taste. (I realize that I can’t stand outside everyone’s window, but the enthusiasm of this forum is well known in sea shanty circles and I'd be surprised (and saddened) if everyone doesn't happily comply with this requirement.)

Otherwise, standard format sample:

1 - CP Squid (Popeye the Sailorman)
2 - Saltydog Sarrman (Barnacle Bill the Sailor)
3 - No number 3! Three is evil. Skip to 4!
4 - etc.
Last edited by evenwind on Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panman liked this
By ChefDean
1. wcrosman, (yo ho ho and a bottle of rum)
2. Panman, (Wellerman [overused, yes but I love it])
4. ChefDean - ("I love to go swimmin' with bow-legged women, and swim between their legs!" [Cap'n Dave]) (I see what you did there, no number three. Nice touch.)
By Fenlena
4. ChefDean - ("I love to go swimmin' with bow-legged women, and swim between their legs!" [Cap'n Dave]) (I see what you did there, no number three. Nice touch.)
5. Fenlena - (The Irish Rover)
By DragonsEye
5. Fenlena - (The Irish Rover)
6. DragonsEye-- "Yo ho! Blow the man down!"
By evenwind
I'm going to bump this 'cause it's a holiday weekend and all. Besides, it probably is too hot to ship this week.
Panman liked this
By carnivorous_noob
I can't join the giveaway since I'm from Canada, but I'm just wondering why people continuously say number 3 is bad or evil in giveaways. Is it some inside joke or something that's been going on in this forum fora while?
By evenwind
carnivorous_noob wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:43 pm I can't join the giveaway since I'm from Canada, but I'm just wondering why people continuously say number 3 is bad or evil in giveaways. Is it some inside joke or something that's been going on in this forum fora while?
@ChefDean - You want to field this one?
By Panman
carnivorous_noob wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:43 pm I can't join the giveaway since I'm from Canada, but I'm just wondering why people continuously say number 3 is bad or evil in giveaways. Is it some inside joke or something that's been going on in this forum fora while?
It is a chilling tale, that I don't like to recall. If you must know, please continue to read.

It was about two years ago. This forum was flourishing. Lots of new people, great conversations, and best of all, lots of giveaways. At first, things seemed normal enough. Different people signed up and different people won. Various methods were used to divine the winning number for the giveaways: random number generators, rolling dice, casting chicken bones, reading pig entrails. Despite the method of selection, a pattern began to emerge. In all cases, the number came up as 3. Multiple attempts were made to lift the curse. At one point, ChefDean danced naked in his yard, under a full moon while burning sage. Despite every attempt to relieve the forum of this plague, the 3 continued to return. Although its nefarious influence has been dampened as of late, it still continues to rear its ugly head. We can only hope that one day the curse of 3 will be extinguished. The question is, will we be around to see it?
By ChefDean
Panman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:48 pm
It is a chilling tale, that I don't like to recall. If you must know, please continue to read.

It was about two years ago. This forum was flourishing. Lots of new people, great conversations, and best of all, lots of giveaways. At first, things seemed normal enough. Different people signed up and different people won. Various methods were used to divine the winning number for the giveaways: random number generators, rolling dice, casting chicken bones, reading pig entrails. Despite the method of selection, a pattern began to emerge. In all cases, the number came up as 3. Multiple attempts were made to lift the curse. At one point, ChefDean danced naked in his yard, under a full moon while burning sage. Despite every attempt to relieve the forum of this plague, the 3 continued to return. Although its nefarious influence has been dampened as of late, it still continues to rear its ugly head. We can only hope that one day the curse of 3 will be extinguished. The question is, will we be around to see it?
^^^^ This. But I had tarred and feathered myself with honey and milkweed fluff prior to the aforementioned, unclothed gyrations. Thank goodness my neighbors were all gone; Hawaii, South Padre Island, and Dollywood respectively.
Jedikinigit liked this
By Panman
ChefDean wrote:I had tarred and feathered myself with honey and milkweed fluff prior to the aforementioned, unclothed gyrations.
Well, that's an image that will haunt me for the rest of my life.
By evenwind
Gotta wonder if the neighbors left before or after.
By ChefDean
evenwind wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:26 pm Gotta wonder if the neighbors left before or after.
DragonsEye wrote:Or because of.
Naw, they just went on vacation. I waited until then because there's no need to entice them with all this.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!