FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By BumpyEvergreen
Humidity is going to be the main point as nepenthes prefer ambient above 60, though there are some nepenthes native to Australia mirabilis would be a good start and although tenax is native I wouldn't suggest it as I believe it is finnicky both of them are native to north eastern australia where it is warm and humid year round. If you can look up your temperatures monthly and average humidity start looking at small towns where nepenthes are native in Australia, India anywhere where it is dry and hot and match up climates, you can use inaturalist and look up nepenthes to see where they live and compare the monthly weather where they live to where you live, you'll want to look for the same latitude and remember coastal areas are warmer.

For instance madagascariensis lives in this town and the weather is as follows though the humidity is above 70% all year round.
yese.PNG
yese.PNG (27.32 KiB) Viewed 233 times
By Intheswamp
rayhahahaha wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:36 am I had a nepenthes before and grew it outside however it sadly died so I'm wondering if it is possible to grow them outdoors in NSW Australia
Certainly, though you may have to bring them inside during cold or extremely warm weather. Look at the plant requirements and then compare to your local climate.
By DragonsEye
I grow mine (N maxima and a couple of poi dogs) indoors for most of the year. Mine have never seen the inside of a terrarium. For at least 6months of the year, the humidity in my apt is typically about 15%. They have all done just fine. So the take away here is — don’t assume that just because the plant is a nep, it is going to require high humidity. There are some that can handle a lot less humidity than you’d expect. So you might have to be willing to experiment a bit.
Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

You can pay shipping from Lowes and still get it f[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not see[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!