FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Anzenix
What is my Sarrs trying to tell me? The red ones were given to me for free with the presumption that they were on their way out.. is that what is happening? The green/white one and the one next to it seem pretty healthy but just throwing it out there in case its not. The one on the right is pretty full of bugs... is that okay? lol I love it
Attachments:
20231025_122159.jpg
20231025_122159.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 995 times
20231025_122231.jpg
20231025_122231.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 995 times
20231025_122228.jpg
20231025_122228.jpg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 995 times
By andynorth
Full of bugs is actually a good thing if I am not mistaken as it means they are still sending out the aromas that attract bugs unless they are bugs that attack Sars. I am not sure about the red ones being "on their way out" as there are species that turn color with enough sun light. What type of media are you using? If it is not a pest problem it may be a mineral issue. If you have the ability to test TDS and pH, etc. I would do that to be certain your media is good. It is about to be dormancy time so that could also be the issue. @ChefDean has much more knowledge in this area and I am sure he will chime in to help out. There are several others that have WAY more knowledge than I do but that is my .02 cents worth.
By steve booth
Just looking at the pitchers, they are definitely not on their way out, just turning a good colour (and very nice too). Pitchers do get that pinched front to them occasionally, I am semi-convinced it is pest damage when they were a young pitcher but have never caught them at it to prove it. Nothing you can do they will put new pitches up in spring that will be OK.
Cheers
Steve
andynorth liked this
By Anzenix
Oh thats an interesting thought. It was kind of gradual, it didn't quite have that pinched shape so pronounced until now. They are definitely full of bugs lol so hopefully that helps a lot.
By Panman
steve booth wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:35 pm Pitchers do get that pinched front to them occasionally, I am semi-convinced it is pest damage when they were a young pitcher but have never caught them at it to prove it.
I have one plant that I have grown from seed. Every pitcher it has ever put out, except for one, has had pinched lips. Even when it was growing immature pitchers, they were pinched.
By steve booth
Panman wrote:One man's flaw is another man's feature. Look at the lidless nepenthes that are all the rage.
Aaarrrrg abominations, burn the witches and cover their remains with sodium chlorate just to be sure!!!!!!

I do get plants that tend to show pinched lips more than other plants, but not on a regular basis or as a stable trait, that's what made me lean towards pests of some sort rather than genetics, quite a mystery but not harmful in my experience.

Cheers
Steve
Panman, Anzenix liked this
By Anzenix
steve booth wrote:
Panman wrote:One man's flaw is another man's feature. Look at the lidless nepenthes that are all the rage.
Aaarrrrg abominations, burn the witches and cover their remains with sodium chlorate just to be sure!!!!!!

I do get plants that tend to show pinched lips more than other plants, but not on a regular basis or as a stable trait, that's what made me lean towards pests of some sort rather than genetics, quite a mystery but not harmful in my experience.

Cheers
Steve
It's good to keep in mind though, I will be sure to make note of it and see it continues to happen once more start to come out.
Is this a steal?

That larger one is quite nice for that price, yes,[…]

Is This What To Look For?

I have decided since my first attempt worked out s[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!