FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post any care guides or tutorials here.

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
Yeah... Bayer 3-in-1 or Doctor Dead Bug or whatever...??? Thanks!
IMG_9185s2 (Custom).jpg
IMG_9185s2 (Custom).jpg (266.42 KiB) Viewed 890 times
IMG_9185b (Custom).JPG
IMG_9185b (Custom).JPG (320.17 KiB) Viewed 890 times
IMG_9176a (Custom).JPG
IMG_9176a (Custom).JPG (235.06 KiB) Viewed 890 times
By Panman
Nasty buggers. I'd go 3-in-1 and Captain Jack's, alternating every week. Continue to treat for two weeks even after the bugs are gone.
Intheswamp liked this
By Panman
I've been blasting my capes with 3-in-1. They slow down a bit, but aren't any worse for the wear. Spinosad does work on aphids https://www.flgardening.com/will-spinosad-kill-aphids/ Drowning them would also work.
Intheswamp, elaineo liked this
By Intheswamp
Captain Jack's was the one I couldn't remember. I think I've got both here...so what if I'm a bug-Armageddon "prepper". :mrgreen:

These pictures are of a threadleaf (a Florida Red of some flower color, I think) and a rosetted species of some kind in the far corner of the pot. The pot is a small 2-1/2" square one so it wouldn't be a problem to drown them. This was a pot that set around, caught a few seeds, and seedlings popped up. It was one of those odd pots that sat outside in the summer heat, etc., got shoved around, and was basically just tolerated because it had some volunteers in it. I brought them all in for the winter this year and this pot got water but not much attention. *Then* I thought the threadleaf had started going dormant, but then one day I noticed it had a "frosty look" about it...and I looked closer! :shock: :?

Like I said, the pot in the photos isn't a "biggie". BUT, I had four larger pots of capes (Grandpa Stump, an Alba, a Red, and a plantlet from the Red) growing right beside it. The capes had moved down from Atlanta, they said something about the traffic being too bad there. ( ;) Panman) Anyhow, I got to looking at them and I see an infestation in them, too,...though a lot less of an infestation, thank goodness!

I moved the mongrel pot to the other COLD end of the trailer, well away from other plants. If it makes it, it makes it, though I will go ahead and submerge the pot for a week?....2 weeks?(drowning those sapsuckers just seems "so right"! :twisted: And maybe give it a pre-emptive bi-weekly bug-juice spraying for a month or so.

As for the capes, though, I think I'll try the weekly alternating treatment of 3-in-1 and Cap Jack's. Does this sound about right...lightly mist the leaves, spray the crown of the plant, and finally cover the surface area of the grow mix...? Thanks for the feedback, I just want to stop these suckers before they spread anymore and also to keep the capes from getting worse.
By Intheswamp
I bet if you used some high test alcohol and threw a match down right afterwards it'd get rid of those sapsuckers! Nah, probably would burn the trailer down...I'll stick with using a needle for a javelin.

Btw, Panman, you remember the old cape that you sent with the others (I refer to it as "Grandpa Stump")...you weren't sure of it's exact identification? Looking at it and looking at my "Wide Leaf" they look very similar to one another. Grandpa Stump's leaves *may* even be a touch wider. :)
By ChefDean
It would be a little spendy, but you'd probably only have to do it once. Crazee Mites.
They're big, predatory mites that attack pretty much any pest that hits these plants.
In some places, maybe 'Bama, it may stay warm enough for them to over winter, so no reapplying necessary. If they don't survive the winter, an application in the soring shoukd last all year. They're all female and reproduce by parthenogenesis, so they'll release multiple clones over their three week life. They're predatory all life stages.
However, they'll likely eat just about any critter once aphids, thrips, spider mites, and mealy's run out, even each other. And they're big enough that they could end up being trapped by sundews. At more than a dollar per mite, that's a expensive meal for a booger plant.

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!