FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By afh928
Just wanted to show you guys how much my "brood" has grown over the past couple days. I started with ONE typical a couple weeks ago...then it turned into 2, plus a pitcher plant...NOW...I have 4 typicals, the pitcher plant, a drosera binata, and i have 3 leaf clippings of drosera capensis, 3 leaf clippings of drosera alba, and a clipping of FineTooth x Red VFT that i am attempting as well.

I blame Flytrapcare.com for making me an addict! I have opened up a whole new world that i truly enjoy, and i definitely owe it to this site...but jesus, does it ever stop lol?!?!

Here is a pic of everything as of today, and thanks to nealfor for the clippings!
Attachments:
droserabinata1.jpg
droserabinata1.jpg (10.8 KiB) Viewed 5043 times
cps1.jpg
cps1.jpg (13.36 KiB) Viewed 5042 times
By linton
all I can say is "I TOLD YOU SO!!!" And no, it does not stop.

(nice binata by the way)

Happy growing,
Linton.
By Budukai
:twisted: You can nvr go back mwahahahah!!! :lol:
By afh928
thanks, nealfor also gave me the drosera binata (credit where credit is due). I am just SUPER stoked to have the binata and the clippings of the capensis & albas.....i hope they take, cause after i discovered sudews i HAD to have one. Now if nature decides to do what it does i may have quite a bit more than 1, lol. You guys keep your fingers crossed, i am trying it out this time by putting the clippings in peat and keeping the humidity high, and keeping it outside. You can see in the pic (sort of), the pot in the middle of the 3 (the biggest one). 3 capensis clippings are planted at the top, 3 alba clippings at the top, and the fine tooth x red clipping is in the center. I have heard this can be a difficult way to do it, but i have also heard it can be easy if you just keep it nice and moist so i figure it can't hurt to try it my way this time! Hopefully i have some luck!
By nealfor
Sounds great!! Let me know if any of them don't make it, I can probably get a few more cuttings for you if the worst happens. I think you will find that D. Capensis is rather eager to grow. I keep finding seedlings everywhere I look, however none of them are large enough to transplant or I would have hooked you up. I was going to bring you some D. Filiformis today as well, but I forgot... so next time I will.

The one I am most curious about is definitely the VFT, keep me posted on that guy's progress.
By afh928
right on man, i will keep you posetd! I hope they make it too...and don't worry about forgetting those other clippings...i don't want to get too ahead of myself lol...if everything goes like i hope it does i will have PLENTY of these suckers for a while. I probably have a bit too much as it is for a beginner but i have learned enough that i think i'll be fine. Thanks man, i will definitely keep ya posted!
By Redneck_Angel
I'm feeling much the same, although I still just have the 1 surviving Typical, and 2 Typical seeds that sprouted a short while ago (and man are they getting big!!! :D )

The seeds sprouting was what put me over the edge of wanting more. Now I'm just waiting until seeds are ready, then I'll see what I can order off of Flytrap Ranch (stupid international shipping laws :x )

Matt- truly this site is great at getting people addicted.... both to the site itself, and to flytraps in general 8-)
By Matt
Redneck_Angel wrote:Matt- truly this site is great at getting people addicted.... both to the site itself, and to flytraps in general 8-)
That's great to hear Gillian! I too am very addicted to this site. It's the first site that I've made that I actually use a lot...hah.
Redneck_Angel wrote:The seeds sprouting was what put me over the edge of wanting more. Now I'm just waiting until seeds are ready, then I'll see what I can order off of Flytrap Ranch (stupid international shipping laws :x )
I'll have a bunch of seed soon too. Almost all of my plants are opening flowers right now. I'd say the flowering of my plants is about half way done. Another week or so and it will be pretty much over. Then, if I remember correctly, it's about another 6 weeks before the pods ripen. I'll make a post when they're ready.
By caxuxa
it is your fault...im AXIOUS to get mines already...and seeing these beautiful pix...OH MY!!! IM ABSOLUTELY STOKED!!! :o
By Carl
afh928 wrote:I blame Flytrapcare.com for making me an addict! I have opened up a whole new world that i truly enjoy, and i definitely owe it to this site...but jesus, does it ever stop lol?!?!
The answer to this is NO. I started like you about 6 years ago and now I have about 200 VFT along with other CP's and the collection is still growing. I'm just starting to think about adding another greenhouse.
By afh928
wow, lol...thats some serious amounts of plants!
By lemonlily
Glad I am not addicted to them. They're still great, but since I can't find any, I will start to live without them and I'm doing fine!
Results of self pollinating?

The ovary is 1/2 inch across? Or the umbrella is[…]

Flytrap ID

Bohemian Garnet My BG is young, and there are si[…]

Liberation from Lowe’s

I got one in that same box years ago. It burned to[…]

Nwpenthes grow tent help

I haven't tried putting chilled water into the h[…]

any notes or tips would be helpful prop/ seed star[…]

Is this a steal?

When it coms to CP's you just never know. A plant […]

24 wide, 24 deep, 36 high It will fit with a half[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!