FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Spunro
Thinking of trying to propagate my Pinguicula Vulgaris but all the information I’m finding is for Mexician Butterworts with succulent-like stages. Is it the same procedure for a Vulgaris?
By Jedikinigit
I don't have direct experience, but referred to Savage Garden. It says that temperate species (like vulgaris) can be propogated from the baby buds that form around the mother bud during dormancy. Remove with tweezers just before the growing season and place then pointy side up on the preferred soil media. They put down roots and send out leaves and can get semi-mature the first growing season. Hope that helps and good growing!
Spunro liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
Other than using gemmae, you can peel a few layers off of the winter hibernacula, press the peeling butt-end down into the growing medium, place under bright light and in several weeks it will often sprout a baby ping.
Spunro liked this
By Spunro
thanks for the replies! I’ll be sure to try this and see how it goes :D
By Spunro
yes my pinguicula is currently in my fridge, I’ll go and check when I can. Thanks!
Panman liked this
By Spunro
Huntsmanshorn wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:19 am Other than using gemmae, you can peel a few layers off of the winter hibernacula, press the peeling butt-end down into the growing medium, place under bright light and in several weeks it will often sprout a baby ping.
I didn’t find any gemmae, so I tried this method. Does this look right?
Attachments:
IMG_6123.jpeg
IMG_6123.jpeg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 993 times
By andynorth
Jedikinigit wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:14 am I don't have direct experience, but referred to Savage Garden.
Have you read the entire book yet? I am about 150 pages in. Very good reading. I am looking forward to finishing it and moving on to some others. Since my interest have peeked with Sarrs, I will find more educational books along that line. I know there are a few out there with very good info in them. I only wish they would all go digital, and I don't mean Kindle, although if worse comes to worse, I do have a Kindle I could use.
By Huntsmanshorn
Spunro wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:48 pm
Huntsmanshorn wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:19 am Other than using gemmae, you can peel a few layers off of the winter hibernacula, press the peeling butt-end down into the growing medium, place under bright light and in several weeks it will often sprout a baby ping.
I didn’t find any gemmae, so I tried this method. Does this look right?
Can't really tell but if the pointy end is up and the rounded end is down you're good to go.
By Spunro
Yup the pointy end is up, ill give updates if/when they start growing. Thanks!
Jedikinigit liked this
By Jedikinigit
andynorth wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:30 pm
Jedikinigit wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:14 am I don't have direct experience, but referred to Savage Garden.
Have you read the entire book yet? I am about 150 pages in. Very good reading. I am looking forward to finishing it and moving on to some others. Since my interest have peeked with Sarrs, I will find more educational books along that line. I know there are a few out there with very good info in them. I only wish they would all go digital, and I don't mean Kindle, although if worse comes to worse, I do have a Kindle I could use.
I've been jumping around reading the specific sections that are most pertinent to what I'm doing at that time. That's being said I think I've read the whole section on Sarrs, Pings, Dionaea, Utrics, and some of the random other species. It's well written and very digestible. If you find any great books on Sarrs I would be interested to know.
By andynorth
I have found a couple others. Unable to locate currently but will post when I find them. One of them, in hardback is a few hundred bucks!!! It is my understanding that anything by Adrian Slack are must reads.
By jeff
If you are in Scotland, you can leave your plant outside all year round rather than putting it in the fridge.
here in France this is what I do for all my tempered ping
not too much sun anyway or just in the morning sun
adrian Slack is a very good read with very good advice, you can also for sarracenia and heliamphora and many other carnivorous plants ,read the books by stewart Mc Pherson (WWW.redfernnaturalhistory.com)
steve booth liked this
By steve booth
Agreed with Jeff. No need in Scotland for a fridge dormancy, they are native so should be hardy, wherever you are in the UK, given the right conditions.
http://www.wildflowerweb.co.uk/plant/85 ... butterwort

Good books are other than Savage Garden are
Pitcher Plants of the Americas - Stewart McPherson
Carnivorous Plants - Adrian Slack
But a definitive book is Sarraceniaceae of Nort America - Stewart Mcpherson and Donald Schnell
Cheers
Steve
andynorth liked this
By Spunro
ill try that next year, is it okay to leave it in the snow or should it be sheltered/covered?
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!