FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By nep lover
I would like to inform the forum that I have successfully found a way to COOK a Ping to a nice well done look. History: I have been fighting with this plant since I received it in the mail in BAD shape. I have spent months grooming it and providing it everything it needs. I even saw great growth in the plant.... however; yesterday in the North Carolina heat it met it’s quite possibly met its demise. The situation: In a little green house in my back yard sat the young plant after being repotted, enjoying life UNTIL my roommate CLOSED my green house!! For 5 hours, it along with my other plants cooked at 130F!! By the time I got to the plant the pot was hot to the touch and the leaves of the plant where nicely blended in, matching the BLACK soil! I of course opened the green house to allow all the plants an ability to breathe in the stifling heat.

As for the next step.... What do I do? Take it out of it misery and burry it in the compost heap OR give it a few days to see if "the little plant that could".... can grow back?
Once I get home I will post pictures. Thanks for the help
Attachments:
Ripleys believe it or not.... THOSE ARE PINGS
Ripleys believe it or not.... THOSE ARE PINGS
IMG_1877.JPG (230.04 KiB) Viewed 3781 times
Last edited by nep lover on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Grey
Once we get photos we can assess the damage properly - but by the sounds of it that isn't necessary. You can always try peeling back the dead growth to see if there is any white or green there; hopefully there will be and if there is you may find the plant returns to health over time.

Other than that I'll wait for a photo... Fingers crossed for you, nep lover!
By jht-union
Sorry to hear this :(

nep lover wrote:As for the next step.... What do I do? Take it out of it misery and burry it in the compost heap OR give it a few days to see if "the little plant that could".... can grow back?
I wouldn't throw anything out, if it was just 5 hours it is probably the roots are alive and it can certainly grow back, i gave in on a nepenthes, i just left it alone didn't even care, but kept watering, the surprice: it came with 4 seedlings 1 big and the other smalls after 2 months! ;)

I would say give it a chance of at least 3 months! ;)

Like gray says, pics would help as well!
By jht-union
nep lover wrote:I added the pictures... what do i do?
Oh wow, that is definitely cook. :(

But still there might be hope!

What's the name of the pinguicula?

Just give it the same conditions it was in before this happen, and that should do it!
By Grey
Is that a Pinguicula Primuliflora done BBQ style? Anyway, that does look pretty bad; thank you for the photographs.

As I suggested earlier you can try peeling back the dead growth and checking for life. You'd be surprised what these things can handle but if that is a Warm Temperate Ping they can have a massive hissy fit if there's the slightest change in temperatures (speaking from experience) - still, don't give up hope!

When you've pruned it a little try to keep it moist but not wet with cooler temperatures and reasonable humidity; with there being lots of dead growth you really need to keep an eye out for mould as it can quickly cause bloomage. Other than that I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (not literally as that would make typing difficult) and hope!

Good luck!
Grey liked this
By nep lover
Thanks for the Help. I tried to find any undamaged portion of the plant... and I could not. I even did a test; I fill the same type pot with soil and established the same amount of moisture! I left it in similar conditions (in the greenhouse for 5 hours), and took the temperature. The soil was over 110F and the temp inside the green house was over 140F.... so I am 99.9% sure, my Ping is toast.
By nep lover
Grey wrote:Ah. I'm sorry for your loss; I'm glad I could at least offer some form of advice heh. Perhaps you can try again in the future!
yea, your right. Plus next time i will go to your site for help!! Thanks Grey

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

Hello again from Florida

This isn't really a true introduction because I've[…]

New cultivar potential?

For its stout leaves and proportionately large t[…]

I have a many cape sundew varieties, about 6 pingu[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Hello, heya, howdy. Enjoy the forums! :D

Elionwyr requests drosera intermedia. Ty!

Intheswamp requests the pack of D. capensis "[…]

New donation

I'd like to thank thepitchergrower for his latest […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!