FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Willow_mcF
I was gifted with a Venus Flytrap a few weeks ago and since then it has had a few brushes with death. 😭 First I overwatered it, it started looking better but then it was under watered, and it barely caught a break until the recent heat wave fried it! I had no idea it can't do temps higher than 95 😭 I hope it survives and gets better, so now I'm giving it water and it's only getting the cool morning sun, but the new shoots aren't growing. Is there anything I need to know so I don't continue to hurt my plant? Should I repot it? It's in a tiny pot from the store but I'm scared to repot it bc it already isn't doing well. Also all the traps closed after an afternoon in 100 degree sun.... is it going to die?? I'm freaking out 😭 How much water? How much sun? There's so many conflicting opinions on the internet 😭 I want it to RECOVER PLEASEEEE
By evenwind
Rinsing won't hurt, but only if you use distilled or RO or rain water. Personally, I wouldn't bother IF the soil you bought is actually good for VFTs. Where did you get it? What brand is it? If it's a commercial brand, check the packaging for any sign of additives - it should be just peat/perlite or sphagnum moss (or maybe peat/sand). Coir works but has to be rinsed thoroughly to get all the deadly salt out and I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

Whether or not to repot now is a separate question. A pic would be helpful - maybe the folks with a lot more VFT expertise than me will chime in.
By Intheswamp
It can handle 95F temperature. Between the store and living in full sun there should have been an acclimation period where the flytrap got slowly increasing hours of direct sun. Going straight from the store to direct sun can burn them.

Being in such a hot environment, it might not be a terribly bad idea to repot to a larger pot so that you also have a larger mass of grow mix for moisture retention. The little 2” pots that they come in most of the time can dry out pretty quick. You could “slip pot” it. That’s basically filling a pot with fresh mix, wiggle the potted plant down into the new grow mix until the plants current soil level is even with the surface of the new soil mix. Remove the small pot, leaving the formed hole in the new grow mix. Now carefully turn the small pot upside down in your hand, letting the plant be between your fingers. While you’re holding it upside down gently tap, squeeze, tickle, whatever, until the pot-shaped plug of grow mix and plant slide out of the pot into your hand. Now gently slide this plug into the prepared hole in the larger pot. Firm the grow mix around the plug..you might have to add a little more grow mix. Water it in well, letting the drain water go to waste. Let it sit over night with no water in the tray. The next morning add 1/2” of water.

White plastic pots would be my choice. The plastic won’t leach minerals and white helps reflect solar radiation. You could also use the pot-inside-a-pot technique…the outer pot acts as a shade for the inner pot.

Also, pay attention to what you have the pot sitting on. If it is sitting on cement/concrete, stone, thick wood then the pot is probably being heated by it. A piece of foam placed below the pot to insulate the bottom can make a big difference in reducing conducted heat. Let the foam extend out several inches around the pot…for example, you could put a 12” square or diameter piece of foam beneath a 4” pot. This would help with radiated hit from coming up the sides of the pot.

As for your flytrap recovering…if there’s green to it it has a good chance of being ok. It’s a plant and will make its own food through photosynthesis.

Best wishes!
By Willow_mcF
So i repotted my VFT (thanks for the advice! The roots are getting a lot less hot) but Texas is 100 degrees right now.... it was doing fine in the sun until the heatwave. Can I use a normal bedsheet as a shade cloth? Bc right now, my VFT is working off the only licks of sun that's less than 95 degrees. (And it only have 5 traps, and the shoots aren't growing anymore....) (I'm not getting a shade cloth bc I'm a minor and my parents don't want to sponser my crispy plant's fancy medical care)
Attachments:
2AE88A25-28DE-4931-98F4-9F5FA9B9E720.jpeg
2AE88A25-28DE-4931-98F4-9F5FA9B9E720.jpeg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 2019 times
By MikeB
Here are a couple tricks for dealing with the hot weather:

• Give your plant sunshine from dawn until about 2 PM, then shade afterward. That's enough light, and it will keep your plant out of the hot, late-afternoon sun.
  • I noticed that the pot is black; that will soak up a lot more heat which gets transferred to the soil. Wrap some aluminum foil around the pot to reflect the sunshine.
wcrosman, Intheswamp liked this

I know there's a few that need a complete dry peri[…]

Nwpenthes grow tent help

What size is the grow tent?

Definitely a bladderwort. Very nice pot you have[…]

i dont have any sphagnum moss, is it essential for[…]

Cephalotus pitcher die off

I have a cephalotus that seems to have a lot of pi[…]

Just a short comment on the tent. Would Jade be[…]

When do I pot leaf pulls?

wait until the mother leaf is completely dry b[…]

Hello from the California!

Welcome. Be sure to check out the seedbank.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!