FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By new_sheriff_n_twn
Hello,

Being a novice with carnivorous plants, I am looking for advice on my Sarrenia's downturn. I got it in the mail about 10 days ago. When I received it, the plant had 3 pitchers. One partially dried and the other two looking healthy. I tried to let them acclimate to the light for a couple of days, and then I put them in my terrarium. The whole time, the one already wilting continued to die. I didn't think anything of it since it was already not doing well. However, a couple of days after putting them in the terrarium, one of the green pitchers started developing a hole and wilting where the hole was. I figured the plant was receiving enough water, and I increased my misters output by 20% and my fans' humidity threshold. Still, the hole got bigger. Today, I noticed the other pitcher developing a hole. What is so baffling to me is that I have two sets of butterworts and venus fly traps in the same terrarium that are thriving. Is there some condition for this plant that I'm not meeting. Or, is it just suffering from shock? I included some pictures to help with diagnosis. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Attachments:
20231107_101920.jpg
20231107_101920.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 537 times
20231107_110003.jpg
20231107_110003.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 537 times
By ChefDean
Shock from being uprooted, shipped, manhandled, and repotted, and not having enough time to settle into the new media to more efficiently take up water. Plus, it's about the time of year that they go dormant, so I doubt you'll see any new growth and turn around any time soon.
However, I suspect that it will continue to decline as it's basic needs are not going to be met in a terrarium. These plants need direct, unfiltered sunlight, or very strong artificial light to the tune of 12+ hours a day, typically much more. To that tune, flytraps have the very similar light and dormancy requirements, so I would predict that they'll soon begin to decline as well.
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
Everything @ChefDean says but also, how are you watering and with what type of water? Distilled or rain water is best. If your tap water has a low TDS you could also use that but I would recommend (Thanks for the tip, @Panman) getting aquarium test strips to be sure there is nothing else in the water that would harm your plants. Sars like their soil damp but not wet. Most people use the tray method. I find that is a suitable way to water also. What type of soil are you using? I was using a mix of LFSM, Perlite, Peat and Silicon Sand and I lost several Drosera because I did not check the soil TDS and PH. They were both off the charts so (Thanks to a tip from @Intheswamp) I switched to a mix of 50:50 LFSM and Peat. I am using that for all my Drosera and Sars and they are thriving. I have bought several Sars over the past couple of weeks and after putting them in my grow tent to get acclimated they are doing awesome. Hope this helps. I am sure others will chime in here soon.
By MikeB
new_sheriff_n_twn wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:17 pm I got it in the mail about 10 days ago. When I received it, the plant had 3 pitchers. One partially dried and the other two looking healthy.
One more thing to consider: If the pitchers contained dead bugs when the plant was unpotted and bagged, then those bugs started rotting during shipping due to the lack of airflow. I would expect all of the pitchers to develop a brown ring at the dead-bug level and die off. This happens with every tall Sarracenia that I get. The short, tubby pitchers like purpurea and rosea usually don't have this problem.
Is this a steal?

That larger one is quite nice for that price, yes,[…]

Is This What To Look For?

I have decided since my first attempt worked out s[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!