FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
I don't think those are pygmies. They look like rotundafolia to me. If they are pygmies, you may be in trouble in that pot. Pygmies have very long, hair thin roots that break very easily. For that reason, it is next to impossible to transplant the plants without them dying. You might try slip potting it into at least a 6 inch deep pot. But I still think they aren't pygmies.
smolrat61 liked this
By Panman
Okay, it may be a pygmy. Maybe omissa? You are facing a bigger issue because of the size of the tap root of pygmies. I had one growing in a pot that was 2 inches deep. The root grew out the bottom, and when I lifted it out of the water tray the root snapped off, killing the plant.

My idea, and it is only an idea, would be to plant the whole pot inside another deeper pot. That way the root could grow out through the drainage hole into the deeper pot.

The other option is a slip potting, but that is touch and go with pygmies. Perhaps someone else will chime in.
andynorth liked this
By smolrat61
[mention]Panman [/mention] speaking of Pygmy sundews, in case you were wondering! I tried slip potting them (and immediately ordered some gemmae in case it didn’t work out LOL) and it seemed to be fine! I think I might’ve damaged the one on the right’s roots; you were right they are super fragile; since some of the leaves browned but then recovered!
By andynorth
I guess it would have been wise to ask around here about Pygmies before I dove head first in to them. Glad everyone, including @Panman and @madrone chimed in so I will know what to and not to do in the future. Will be getting them in to bigger pots this weekend.
By DragonsEye
As far as an ID goes good luck with that. Most pygmies look pretty much, the same foliage-wise. Many even have similar looking flowers, so unless you can get the name from the seller, they will remain NoIDs.

Has mentioned, pygmies are notoriously difficult to transplant. Young ones are not as bad as mature ones simply because they haven’t out the route all the way yet. But even they can be very touchy about repotting..
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
My brevifolia (the smallest sundew in North America) first came in its native soil. They needed potting so I concocted a great peat and perlite mix to plant them in. I delicately moved the plants into their new giant (2-3/4" square) pot/home. I carefully watered and gave them good sunlight...gradually hardening them off to full sun. They sent up tiny little flower stalks but, no matter what I did, they all gradually died on me. :shock: :(

I kept the little pot of sitting on the table outside, probably just because I procrastinated tossing it. One day I walk by and catch a speck or two of red in the pot. I look closer and there are several tiny seedling sitting there just as happy as could be!!! :D I was thinking the entire time that it was transplanting the pygmies into a soil that was foreign to them was what killed the adult plants but after reading this thread and Panman's explanation about the long, hair roots and that breaking those roots could easily kill the plants I'm thinking it was the transplanting that killed the adults. The seedlings have grown now and have produced seeds of their own...and I'm scared to move these adults being as I don't want to disturb the roots. Being annual plants I expect these adults to die eventually (they sure seem to be holding on good for now, though! :lol: ). The last batch of flower stalks that they've put out are short...read that as S.H.O.R.T....if they're a 1/4" tall, they're a foot tall...and they ain't a foot tall!!! :lol: It is kind of weird because the first round of flower stalks were all like 1" tall, maybe a touch over. :?: Anyhow, I'm thinking when (if?) the adults die back that I'll simply scalp off the top layer of debris...dead plants, flower stalks, loose seeds, etc., and lay it on top of the grow-mix in a larger, deeper pot. I'm really glad to find out about the root situation with them!!!!
andynorth liked this
By Panman
Regarding brevifolia, they do have small tap roots, but they are also annual sundews. You can squeeze a couple of years out of them under artificial lights with regular feeding, but ultimately, they are going to die and resprout from seed. Want to know how I know? Experience is a good teacher.
Intheswamp, andynorth liked this
By andynorth
Panman wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:44 pm Regarding brevifolia, they do have small tap roots, but they are also annual sundews. You can squeeze a couple of years out of them under artificial lights with regular feeding, but ultimately, they are going to die and resprout from seed. Want to know how I know? Experience is a good teacher.
So they just completely die away and make you think they are gone? Any other Pygmies that are like this?

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!