FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
I have no idea what I’m doing. Distilled water, same temperature and light as a bunch of capensis seedlings that have germinated. The seeds aren’t looking as much like seeds as they were…more like “debris”.
elaineo liked this
By Intheswamp
Well, I started water germination on 11/15/2023. Two "condiment containers" with distilled water. This have sat in a tray of water that I use for other plants. The tray sits on a heating pad that pretty much keeps things at 74F-75F degrees. It's now over two months since attempting water germination for the Twister II seeds and I'm about ready to give them "the toss". But, being as the containers are small and I don't need the room at the moment I'll let them ride a bit longer...if I need the space, though, they're toast.

There was an earlier batch of D. Regia seeds that were not twister-noted. I scattered these seeds thinly in two six inch pots using a 50:50 peat and perlite mix with a thin layer of finely chopped LFSM as the top layer and seedbed. These have been sitting there several months now and will soon be removed for "other things".

It seems that the folks are NOT reporting good results from the recent batches of "Twister II" seeds that have gone out. As for the batch of regular D. Regia seeds that I've had no germination from I don't know what other's have had...maybe I'm doing something wrong with them. :?

But, so far..."nada" on any regia seeds. :(

Edited: To insert the bolded "NOT" a few lines above. My brain is fizzling out, I guess...
Last edited by Intheswamp on Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By elaineo
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:18 pm
It seems that the folks are reporting good results from the recent batches of "Twister II" seeds that have gone out.
I thought this thread was about the "Twister II" seeds? Still negatory on my "Twister II" :(
By Intheswamp
elaineo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:06 pm
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:18 pm
It seems that the folks are reporting good results from the recent batches of "Twister II" seeds that have gone out.
I thought this thread was about the "Twister II" seeds? Still negatory on my "Twister II" :(
I badly mispoke, elaineo!!! My bad. I meant to say "...are NOT reporting good results...". I guess my brain was outpacing my fingers...or vice versa. :|
elaineo liked this
By elaineo
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:18 pm
I badly mispoke, elaineo!!! My bad. I meant to say "...are NOT reporting good results...". I guess my brain was outpacing my fingers...or vice versa. :|
ahh, I was confused, as I did not have any germination on earlier regia seeds from the seed bank either. (FWIW, I did get germination on regia seeds acquired elsewhere, but germination rate was low, like 25%)
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
I have some Twister II from the seed bank left in the refrigerator. I'm going to wait until the spring and give it one more go with them using peat, perlite, and finely chopped LFSM. It will be warmer conditions and I'll probably try them outdoors rather than trying to control conditions indoors...probably put somewhat of a rain cover over them to keep the seeds from splashing out in the rain. So far I've tried a couple of leaf cuttings, seed germination indoors on a grow mix, and indoors in distilled water.

With the seeds I have left I *might* take 2-3 of them and drop them in a condiment container with good clear rainwater...just to see if the more acidic pH might give me a surprise...I'll be expecting green algae and slime, so that won't be the surprise. ;) We'll see.
elaineo liked this
By ChefDean
The donor gifted me some of the seeds from a previous harvest, and I had nearly 100% germination. I did water germination on a sunny windowsill, temp probably 80-84°F. Sprouts were transferred to LFSM and put in a greenhouse for my Biology course.
They grew well, but I failed to acclimate them to outside conditions after the program, so i accidentally fried them in the Tennessee sun.
They were from a different harvest, but from the same plants. They do produce viable seed, but maybe tab A didn't quite line up with slot B this time around.
If anyone has any seed left, hang on to them until you can give them more optimal conditions.
By Intheswamp
I wonder the same thing. Maybe the donor's package with them got toasted by the good ol' USPS...possibly sat in a mail truck over a long weekend in the heat?
Maybe they got hit by the USPS with a "security procedure"....namely radiation. Of course, we're not "certain government agencies" so certainly they're not irradiating our mail! :roll: Here's a little snippet from the EPA's website ( https://www.epa.gov/radtown/mail-irradiation )about mail irradiation:

"The ionizing radiation used in the mail irradiation process can cause chemical changes in paper. Additionally, the mail is exposed to extreme heat during the process. The mail might come out brittle and discolored, looking and smelling like it has been baked in an oven. Books or documents with glue in their spines may have loose pages. Irradiation also might turn plastics brown, and warp CD cases or other plastic storage containers, and even affect credit cards. Even though it causes physical changes, irradiating mail does not make the mail radioactive. "
Andrew072 liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!