FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
I finally constructed my Harbor Freight 10'x12' Greenhouse that's been sitting in the garage waiting for me to find the time to put together. I started working on the foundation area on Wednesday August 11th. Leveling the foundation area, constructing the foundation and setting the foundation (I used 4"x4" pressure treated lumber for the foundation) were the hardest part of the job. It basically took me two days (the 11th and 12th) to get materials, construct and set the foundation. Then on the 13th and 14th I put the greenhouse together. The last couple of days (other than today -- I had too many orders to ship today) I've been making reinforcements to the greenhouse because "out of the box" the Harbor Freight 10'x12' greenhouse isn't the most sturdy greenhouse on the market. It's much larger than I anticipated and I'm very much looking forward to having a greenhouse that I don't have to duck my head to enter.

Anyway, here are some photos of the newest addition to the FlytrapStore greenhouse family :)
All three greenhouses
All three greenhouses
IMG_0015.jpg (117.57 KiB) Viewed 7836 times
Next to a 6 foot ladder and the deck
Next to a 6 foot ladder and the deck
IMG_0016.jpg (139.62 KiB) Viewed 7836 times
Plants, greenhouse and me (Matt)
Plants, greenhouse and me (Matt)
IMG_0020.jpg (186.43 KiB) Viewed 7836 times
By tc3driver
That's awesome matt!!!

Grats! what are the temps inside your green houses at any given time?

BTW... I think you need a few more plants... I don't think you have enough there :P
By Oblivion
fantastic g/h, they look like really good quality ones your using there.

even more fantastic is the size of some of the VFT's in the foreground pots. it looks like an absolute whopper of an akai ryu there too.

are those pots double glazed? i seen some incredibly cheap, very nice pots on the w/e but the glazing stops just inside the lip of the pot :(
By Matt
tc3driver wrote:That's awesome matt!!!

Grats! what are the temps inside your green houses at any given time?
Thanks tc3driver! The temps inside the greenhouses (the two that are active) can get pretty warm on hot days. The last two days the temperature has reached 100°F. Inside the greenhouse it has been near 110°F with the doors fully opened, the vents open, the fan on and the 40% shade cloth on the one with clear panels.
tc3driver wrote:BTW... I think you need a few more plants... I don't think you have enough there :P
Hah, well, I'm trying to get rid of all of the Sarracenia, but they just don't sell as quickly as the flytraps :)
Oblivion wrote:fantastic g/h, they look like really good quality ones your using there.
Thanks! For the price, they are good quality. They're the best value greenhouses on the market. I only paid $560 USD for the new largest one. It was actually less than I paid for either of the first two. But I'm making enough modifications to it that it will be cost a little more in the end.
Oblivion wrote:even more fantastic is the size of some of the VFT's in the foreground pots. it looks like an absolute whopper of an akai ryu there too.
There is a pot of Akai Ryu in the photo (smaller reddish pot with red flytraps in it above the closer pot full of red flytraps), but the one you're probably commenting on is the pot of Red Piranhas. It's definitely an impressive looking pot of flytraps and one of my favorites this season.
Oblivion wrote:are those pots double glazed?
They're actually "Perfect Planter" pots from Southern Patio:
http://www.southernpatio.com/index.php/ ... anter.html
They are polyurethane insulated foam pots.
By moof
The upward growing VFT's in the white pot look BIG. Awesome plants Matt, you've got cool stuff there. And the greenhouse is very interesting, I was thinking once about something like that but that'll have to wait until I'll have more time... and spare money:) BTW that's a beautiful landscape you have behind these trees on the first pic
By Oblivion
wow.. foam. who woulda' guessed.

it looks like terra or cement in the pics because some even have a natural colour/weathered look to them.
By Xterms
Very nice stuff you have there, Matt! ;)
Matt wrote:Hah, well, I'm trying to get rid of all of the Sarracenia, but they just don't sell as quickly as the flytraps :).
I guess a clearance sale would solve this matter. :lol:
By HarrisAz
Matt,ur plants are colourful!the greenhouse is nice.i bet it will be tiring to build it
By linton
3 words for you Matt...Fill 'er up!
By Matt
moof wrote:The upward growing VFT's in the white pot look BIG.
That pot does jump out quite a bit, huh? It contains one of my new favorite clones, the WIP Slim Snapper plants that I received from Steve this spring. I successfully got them started in TC so hopefully many more people will get the chance to grow this awesome clone once I get it propagated a bit and Steve and I grow some of the TC babies out.
moof wrote:And the greenhouse is very interesting, I was thinking once about something like that but that'll have to wait until I'll have more time... and spare money:)
They definitely take up a lot of time, but in terms of money, this greenhouse is an incredible deal. I got it on sale and a 20% discount off with a coupon. In total, it only cost $560 USD (about 430 euro). But then, of course, I have to spend money on getting it setup correctly (pavers, lumber to make benches, a nice fan, etc.)
moof wrote:BTW that's a beautiful landscape you have behind these trees on the first pic
Thanks! I love this area of the United States. The climate is very similar to the Mediterranean climate in southern Europe. They call the hills on the other side of the valley the "Tuscan hills" because they look like what you'd see in Tuscany, Italy.
Oblivion wrote:it looks like terra or cement in the pics because some even have a natural colour/weathered look to them.
Yeah, that's the look they were going for and they definitely achieved it.
Hayden wrote:Brilliant greenhouse, and patio!
Thanks Hayden!
Xterms wrote:Very nice stuff you have there, Matt! ;)
Thanks Xterms!
Xterms wrote:I guess a clearance sale would solve this matter. :lol:
Well, we've basically had a Sarracenia clearance sale since the beginning of spring, but they still don't sell very quickly. I'm planning to start selling at the local Farmers' Markets, so that should help get rid of them quicker.
HarrisAz wrote:Matt,ur plants are colourful!the greenhouse is nice.i bet it will be tiring to build it
Thanks HarrisAz. It actually wasn't too bad to build. I did the entire thing by myself in about three days. My wife helped me set the main roof beam on, but other than that, I pretty much did it all alone.
By Matt
moof wrote:The upward growing VFT's in the white pot look BIG.
That pot does jump out quite a bit, huh? It contains one of my new favorite clones, the WIP Slim Snapper plants that I received from Steve this spring. I successfully got them started in TC so hopefully many more people will get the chance to grow this awesome clone once I get it propagated a bit and Steve and I grow some of the TC babies out.
moof wrote:And the greenhouse is very interesting, I was thinking once about something like that but that'll have to wait until I'll have more time... and spare money:)
They definitely take up a lot of time, but in terms of money, this greenhouse is an incredible deal. I got it on sale and a 20% discount off with a coupon. In total, it only cost $560 USD (about 430 euro). But then, of course, I have to spend money on getting it setup correctly (pavers, lumber to make benches, a nice fan, etc.)
moof wrote:BTW that's a beautiful landscape you have behind these trees on the first pic
Thanks! I love this area of the United States. The climate is very similar to the Mediterranean climate in southern Europe. They call the hills on the other side of the valley the "Tuscan hills" because they look like what you'd see in Tuscany, Italy.
Oblivion wrote:it looks like terra or cement in the pics because some even have a natural colour/weathered look to them.
Yeah, that's the look they were going for and they definitely achieved it.
Hayden wrote:Brilliant greenhouse, and patio!
Thanks Hayden!
Xterms wrote:Very nice stuff you have there, Matt! ;)
Thanks Xterms!
Xterms wrote:I guess a clearance sale would solve this matter. :lol:
Well, we've basically had a Sarracenia clearance sale since the beginning of spring, but they still don't sell very quickly. I'm planning to start selling at the local Farmers' Markets, so that should help get rid of them quicker.
HarrisAz wrote:Matt,ur plants are colourful!the greenhouse is nice.i bet it will be tiring to build it
Thanks HarrisAz. It actually wasn't too bad to build. I did the entire thing by myself in about three days. My wife helped me set the main roof beam on, but other than that, I pretty much did it all alone.
linton wrote:3 words for you Matt...Fill 'er up!
Oh, that won't be a problem Linton. I think most of the space is already spoken for by the plants on the patio. The rest will quickly be filled by TC babies I have hardening off on my indoor grow rack :)
By moof
Sounds awesome, beautiful plant. Have you got any close-up pics, or you want to keep it for a surpirse later?:) Any news about the possibility of shipping plants overseas? I'd really like to order some plants from flytrapstore one day, especially such awesome ones! The price you paid for the greenhouse is very good.
By Matt
moof wrote:Sounds awesome, beautiful plant. Have you got any close-up pics, or you want to keep it for a surpirse later?:)
I don't have a good closeup of it, but I've been meaning to spend some time with my camera and snap some photos of all of my plants because they look so good right now. I'll try to do that in the next few days.
moof wrote:Any news about the possibility of shipping plants overseas?
I haven't really pursued it much lately because we're still ramping up in terms of stock and having trouble meeting demands here in the US. But it's still in the back of our minds and once we have enough inventory, we'll branch out into international sales. We'll likely start with selling cultures overseas first because they don't require an import permit to import into most countries, just a Phytosanitary Certificate.
moof wrote:I'd really like to order some plants from flytrapstore one day, especially such awesome ones!
Thanks! I'll do my best to make that a reality in the next year or so :)
moof wrote:The price you paid for the greenhouse is very good.
Yes, I was very happy with the price of the greenhouse.
Results of self pollinating?

That's actually a decent size for an ovary, so I w[…]

Where is the cheapest place to buy pots

Hi all! I just ran out of large pots for my sarra[…]

tommyr's grow list

pm'ed ya!

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

just pm'ed you!

Catching the Nep fever

Surprisingly, I have never really put effort into […]

Hello from the California!

Wow! this forum has an amazing set up for seeds! I[…]

April 2024 Photo Contest - Stuck on You

Much thanks to Optique and what an incredible, hea[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!