FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By delphiguy
I have a Ping x Sethos (my only ping), this is my 2nd try with pings, the first one died on me because I have kept the media too wet and the leaves are often wet.
In this effort, it seems that I have finally got things right for it, however, I am planning on placing it outdoors where it can get more light and in effect more
color, since my indoor growing area doesnt get much light. Im planning to put it together with my orchids, problem is that I water my orchids every day (early morning)
and it might get water on its leaves when I give my orchids a shower and I know from experience that they dont like their leaves being wet.

My question now for those outdoor growers, if there are any, is that how do you protect the leaves from getting wet? I have played with the idea of putting a
dome of some type over the pot, but that would prevent air from circulating and might promote fungus, also, when the temps get high it might "bake" it. Of course,
I would probably be doing a leaf pulling first before trying anything else that way I still have some left just in case something goes wrong.

Thanks
By Aging_Bourbon
well I don't know if that's a good idea. Mexican butterworts don't like being in direct sun that much, they mostly like partial sunlight. As for the water on leaves, that's perfectly normal, your other plant prob have died from root rot, but I hope your using distilled water.
By hackerberry
I would keep them in porches or in your windowsill. Like what Allen said, they don't like direct sunlight.

hb
By Adam
I made the mistake of growing them outside in direct sunlight. They did much better indoors over the winter! :roll:
By delphiguy
thanks the input adam, my ping is growing fine at the moment so i wouldnt be moving it around, when its a bit bigger i'll probably be doing a leaf pulling and try this experiment with.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!