FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By llaura
I found some seeds at a mom n' pop home improvement store around here, and thought it might be neat to try growing some cacti. They came under an "assorted" label, so i'm not quite sure what I've got on my hands right now. It's been about four or five weeks and I've got some tiny little things growing. They almost look like slugs! They are tear-drop shaped, and have a few prickly hairs poking out of the top. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to get planter-sized? SMALL planter, that is. How much should I water them? Do they need special soil? I'm so out-of-the-loop about unusual plants!
By Brendon
try not to use miracle grow soil, it will burn them, dont water the soil to much, they dont require that much, never let the soil get soppy and make sure you have good drainage. but im not sure that i know how long it takes to get bigger, sorry :( but i hope i helped
By HarrisAz
im a cacti expert.i have 3years of growin it.u can use normal soil and mix with some little pebbles or some perlite.for additional,mix with some spahgnum peat but if u use sphagnum peat in the mixture,water it once 1 and a half weeks.if normal soil with perlite,once a week coz sphagnum peat collects water.put it in a bright sunlight(direct about 3-4hours at least).waterering it depends on the size of the cacti.dont water it too much.just give it some only.

Happy Cacti
HarrisAz liked this
By Hayden
Cacti are some of the easiest plants to look after, so you should never over worry about them. What these other guys have said is right so listen to them :) But just relax, theyre only killable when you think to much about them. Give them a water maybe once every 2 weeks in the growing season, so that the water goes through the holes in the bottom of the pot. If you feel down an inch you will find a bit of water, if thats there dont water. Then try the next week.

Hope this helps

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!