FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By jkochuni
So next year I plan on getting a greenhouse. I live in Iowa, and the temps can go into the negatives. Currently I overwinter my plants in my garage with no heat. They do great. Do you think plants can remain in the greenhouse year round unheated in these conditions? If not, I can move them to the garage for winter. Also, would you recommend to have electricity run to the greenhouse? It will be small 8’x 10’. Any tips for keeping heat in? What type of floor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By jkochuni
jkochuni wrote:So next year I plan on getting a greenhouse. I live in Iowa, and the temps can go into the negatives. Currently I overwinter my plants in my garage with no heat. They do great. Do you think plants can remain in the greenhouse year round unheated in these conditions? If not, I can move them to the garage for winter. Also, would you recommend to have electricity run to the greenhouse? It will be small 8’x 10’. Any tips for keeping heat in? What type of floor?

Also, would tempered glass be best?

By Dan V
I've always wanted a greenhouse but don't have one - hopefully an expert will have the answers.

I think most greenhouses use "Polycarbonate Panels" as they weigh much less than glass, insulate better and are more resistant to cracking/breaking.
I would definitely run electric for fans, emergency back-up heater, lights etc. etc.
If you pour a concrete pad, it may hold some heat for nighttime low temps.
By jkochuni
Dan V wrote:I've always wanted a greenhouse but don't have one - hopefully an expert will have the answers.

I think most greenhouses use "Polycarbonate Panels" as they weigh much less than glass, insulate better and are more resistant to cracking/breaking.
I would definitely run electric for fans, emergency back-up heater, lights etc. etc.
If you pour a concrete pad, it may hold some heat for nighttime low temps.
Thanks Dan! My sentiments are the same as yours.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!