FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By KD72
Thoughts on preparing potted media with fungicide (azoxystrobin) before intentionally “overwatering” it? Theoretically benefit or harm vfts?
By ChefDean
Unless you've had bad experiences with big fungal outbreaks in your media, don't worry about it. However, if you have a fungus problem that is caused by your media, I'd think it would be easier to simply switch brands.
If switching isn't a simple prospect, sterilize your media with heat. Either by boiling or microwave.
KD72, 93pirks liked this
By sojourn
Using fungicide-treated media and intentionally overwatering can have both potential benefits and risks, and it's important to consider several factors:

Fungicide Use:

- Benefits: Fungicides like azoxystrobin can help prevent or control fungal diseases in the soil, which could be beneficial for plant health.
- Risks: Overreliance on fungicides may lead to the development of resistant strains of fungi. Additionally, some carnivorous plants, like Venus flytraps (VFTs), may be sensitive to certain chemicals, so it's crucial to use the fungicide in accordance with the product's instructions and recommended concentrations.

Overwatering:

- Benefits: Intentionally overwatering the soil can help flush out accumulated salts, replenish nutrients, and provide consistent moisture to the plants.
- Risks: Overwatering can lead to root rot and other issues, especially in carnivorous plants like VFTs that prefer a well-drained, acidic environment. It's important to strike a balance and not excessively water.
Venus Flytrap Specifics:

VFTs are native to nutrient-poor, acidic soils, and they have specialized needs. Using a well-draining mix with sphagnum moss and perlite is generally recommended.
VFTs have a dormancy period during which they require less water. Overwatering during dormancy could be detrimental.

Observation:

- Monitor the plants closely for signs of stress or any adverse reactions to the fungicide or overwatering. Adjust your care routine accordingly.
- Before implementing any changes to your plant care routine, it's advisable to consult with experienced growers, especially those familiar with VFTs, to get tailored advice based on your specific growing conditions. It's also essential to follow product instructions carefully and consider the potential impact on the overall ecosystem of your potted plants.

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!