FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Adam
What happens when you cut the flower stalk when it's only barely a cm long?
By Matt
Do you mean how does it affect the plant? Or how does it affect the chances of using the flower stalk for propagation?

I don't think it has any negative affect on the plant. I think the sooner you cut it, the better in terms of getting the plant to resume normal growth again.

It would be harder to use a flower stalk that small for propagation, but you could still use it I think.
By kevinqwe
:idea: im guessing it will take a little more time to grow than a 4 inch one. :)
By NZL
The smaller the stalk is, the smaller it's energy reserve is, the smaller your success rate for getting a strike.
The more optimal the growing conditions are, the smaller the stalk can be to get a strike anyway.

The reason why people say "Cut the flowerstalk when it's about 2in" is in fact a compromise: Past trial and errors have shown that 2in is enough energy reserve to get strikes, and all added length would be excess energy that could have been used in the motherplant itself.

In regards to this statement, it would be an interesting experiment to cut flower stalks on different lengths, and look at grow rate of the strikes to determine if there's an optimal stalk length for propagation. I'd do it if I had the material to do this experiment. Of course, to be significant, the flower stalks should be genetically identical..
By Adam
I've got so many flower stalks that are ready to strike, I just wanted the plant to resume normal growth asap. My concern was if there is a higher likelihood of the plant sending up a second one..
By Matt
In my experience, it seems like multiple flower stalks are a genetic thing more than if you snip them too early. For example, every cupped trap plant I have sends up at least 2 flower stalks and sometimes 3. Other plants also send up multiple flower stalks even if you don't cut them.
By Adam
Good to know. Thanks, Matt.

I'm hoping no more stalks will be sent up...

Order received. Your order number is 1651. I'll PM[…]

if nobodys said it yet ive found a pressure spraye[…]

1 year old cape!

I would really be interested in getting some see[…]

Lee’s Botanical Gardens has some drosera for[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not s[…]

Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!