FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
I got some of the bonus "Complex Nep Cross" seeds from the seed bank that I'm going to be planting today or tomorrow and naturally I've got questions. :mrgreen:

My options for media are live sphagnum moss, dried LFSM, and a peat moss and perlite mix.

I would like to use the live sphagnum but how would I do that? Should I simply squeeze out the moss till it's damp, sprinkle the seeds on the surface, mist well, and bag?

I've seen mention of using dried "milled" LFSM. Would filling a pot mostly full with unmilled LFSM and finishing the top 1/2" or so be good enough? My hesitation here is that when I've milled the dried sphagnum in the past and used it on top of a peat/perlite mix it seems to stay "separate" from the peat and perlite...and if allowed to get a little dry it forms a "plate" that can be lifted. :? I know...don't let it dry out. But, it just doesn't seem to make a homogenous mixture.

For a pot, I'm thinking of using a food container that is only about 2-3/4" deep but is 8"x7" in area dimensions so I could spread them out good. Would 2-3/4" be deep enough? It seems that the neps grow *sloooowwww*. :?:

Feedback is very much appreciated as this sounds like a long-term commitment :shock: .
By Panman
Skip the live moss for seedlings. It will rapidly outgrow and smother them. I've had good success will the pest/perlite topped with mild sphagnum. Once they are a couple of inches across I repot to a more nep friendly medium.
Intheswamp, andynorth liked this
By Intheswamp
Thanks Panman! That sounds much simpler than what I was imagining...but I *am* OCD-Me. :lol: As slow as they grow, do you think the 2-3/4" deep container will be ok? My wonderful, beautiful wife is bringing home some distilled water this evening from Wallyworld, so I'll hopefully plant them in the morning.
By Panman
They will be fine in that size for a while. Particularly if they are not in the sun. I had seedlings outside in the shade in that size pot and they did great until I let it dry out.
By Intheswamp
Hmm, the thought of drying out hadn't really dawned on me. A deeper pot with more water storage has it's benefits.
By StephenB200+
I had success with my first batch of seeds by boiling LFSM and running it through my food processor, then using that as a medium. I had a 14% germination rate. I saw the first seedling after four months. My second batch isn’t so quick, they’re on week number five.
By StephenB200+
I am hoping this is a sprout developing on my second batch, but it has that moldy green look to it.
Attachments:
IMG_6819.jpeg
IMG_6819.jpeg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1275 times
By Intheswamp
Did you mean that on your first batch that you had seedlings after 4 *weeks* rather than 4 *months*?

The green spot in the photo looks like it does have some form/shape to it...similar to images I've seen of *very* young nep seedlings. But, the power of suggestion can be strong. ;) Maybe it's a nep, though!!!! :D
StephenB200+ liked this
By StephenB200+
Intheswamp wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:46 pm Did you mean that on your first batch that you had seedlings after 4 *weeks* rather than 4 *months*?

The green spot in the photo looks like it does have some form/shape to it...similar to images I've seen of *very* young nep seedlings. But, the power of suggestion can be strong. ;) Maybe it's a nep, though!!!! :D
Yes, my first batch of seedlings germinated after 4 weeks. Sorry about that, and the second batch/variety has been brewing for 5.

I am so hoping that it is a nep and not a mass of mold.

I’ve crossed my fingers that your seeds are on their way to a bright and balmy future,
Intheswamp liked this
By andynorth
I have 1 Nep seedling from the Seed Bank that is showing promise. I have about ten seeds in 3 separate pods of a 12 pod seed tray. I am thinking of pulling it out in hopes others will come up also. The other 9 pods each have Sarrs in them and most are coming up fairly well. So much so that I think it is time to get some out so as not to strangle any others off. These are al seeds I received from @Panman and they seem to be doing well.
By Intheswamp
Intheswamp wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:53 pm I got some of the bonus "Complex Nep Cross" seeds from the seed bank that I'm going to be planting <snip>...
Well, it's been over 13 weeks since I planted the nep seeds...and there's no sign of life. Should I hang this up to a <cough, cough> failure?
By optique
my next cross's flower i am sending in is almost done cooking. If you look at the photo some of the pods never developed from not being pollinated, i hope that means it fertile.

By Intheswamp
If I'm seeing what you're talking about then it looks like you will get a good load of seeds from that stalk!!! :D
By Intheswamp
Yup! That's what I was thinking you were talking about. Thanks for confirming that for me!
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!