FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
A few weeks ago I decided I'd try leaf-cutting propagation of a D. Dreamsicle OP that I started from seeds from the seed bank. I had one plant that was just nasty-slobbering with dew drops, I mean globs rather than drops, really nasty-looking red plant...so, of course I wanted to see if I could start a clone or two from that plant. :mrgreen:

It is interesting to me that on the original leaf cuttings that the dew drops *still* seem to be intact, though what I think I'm seeing is simply the glands on their stems...???

Are the long, pale colored growths roots? When should I move these strikes to a pot? The biggest one that you see is probably ~1/4" long. For perspective, the container is 4" wide. They're in distilled water beneath some LED garage lights that I use for grow lights.
IMG_0789pproots (Custom).jpg
IMG_0789pproots (Custom).jpg (435.34 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
IMG_0790pp (Custom).jpg
IMG_0790pp (Custom).jpg (602.72 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
ETA: Sorry for the rough quality of the images. I guess I'm going to have to make it a habit to bring my digital camera with me when I check the plants!
Camden liked this
By Intheswamp
Well, yesterday I took some of the leaf-cuttings and transplanted them to some pots/cups. I ended up with three styrofoam coffee cups with a clump or two in each cup. Hoping I don't kill them and this evening they were looking okay...so far, so good....so far. :D
IMG_3558a (Custom).JPG
IMG_3558a (Custom).JPG (389.14 KiB) Viewed 897 times
andynorth liked this
By Intheswamp
Ok, one cup of plantlets have a plant/group that early on I thought might have a "fungus amon'gus", if ya know what I mean. But, it looked kinda...odd, almost translucent, so I left it alone. Here's a close up shot of the plantlet.

Is it fungus or is it just a case of baby filis not knowing when to stop slobbering? I mean, these plantlets come from a dreamsicle OP that just gushed with dew globs (not drops). :lol:
IMG_3612b (Custom).JPG
IMG_3612b (Custom).JPG (391.95 KiB) Viewed 851 times
IMG_3612a.JPG
IMG_3612a.JPG (483.85 KiB) Viewed 851 times
By Intheswamp
I agree, Andy. I'll let it ride on out and see what happens with it. If it's dew then it's probably taking some energy from the plant, but hopefully it will grow out of it...or not. ;)
andynorth liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!