FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
Has anyone else noticed a lack of available distilled water? I was paying $1.25 a gallon at one of 3 local Walmart's and now they are all 3 out of it. It is hit and miss at the grocery stores and Safeway runs over $2.00 a gallon. Although I live in the PNW and collect rain water when it rains, we do have days that it does not rain. I go through close to a gallon of water per day and paying that much gets pretty pricey. Although our tap water runs just under 40 PPM, I am a bit leery of using it. I guess it would be best to let it set out overnight to let the chlorine evaporate. I seen a way to make your own distilled water but I do not trust that.
By wcrosman
I use a zero water pitcher. No need for distilled and much cheaper. Removes chlorine and zero tds in treated water
tommyr, loma604 liked this
By optique
If your plants are outside 40ppm tap should be fine or at least its is for me my tap is 24-27. In the US most water systems use chlorine gas that goes away in under 30min in open air. When my rain water gets low i save it for inside plants.

I used to over flow my tubs when I watered to prevent TDS build up from tap. Now days i Just use the floating plants in the tubs.

Jedikinigit liked this
By ChefDean
If your tap is ~40 ppm, use it, save that $$$. The chlorine will evaporate fast enough to not be an issue.
For comparison, my tap water is 100-110 ppm, and I end up using it for a couple of months when my rain barrel runs dry. No ill effects. Another grower used to live in my town, and he used tap water for years and grew some great plants
Jedikinigit liked this
By Gary
wcrosman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:17 am I use a zero water pitcher. No need for distilled and much cheaper. Removes chlorine and zero tds in treated water
I do the same. Sometimes bottled water simply vanishes from the stores, inexplicably. The Zero water will start to smell "fishy" when it gets >6ppm so I start filling the empty gallon jugs until it hits 50ppm or so. Keeps me in water all summer.
By Intheswamp
I'm curious, have you ever kept a tally to see how many gallons you get from a Zerowater filter before it hits the 50ppm level?
By wcrosman
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:27 pm I'm curious, have you ever kept a tally to see how many gallons you get from a Zerowater filter before it hits the 50ppm level?
I haven’t. I suppose it would make a big difference on how bad ones water is. I just replaced my first filter after a little over a year of use. My tap water is typically at about 65 ppm tds.
Last edited by wcrosman on Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Intheswamp
Oh well, it really doesn't matter for me (local TDS in the 300+ppm range) but for some it definitely might be an alternative for water...depending on how much they require. How much water do you go through in a week's time?
By andynorth
ChefDean wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:36 pm Invest in a rain barrel or three, it can be a good investment.
I have 2 and a bunch of buckets that collect. You would think being in the PNW it would not be an issue but it sure is.
tommyr liked this
By Gary
ChefDean wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:36 pm It happens a couple times a year, maybe a run by CPAP users. Invest in a rain barrel or three, it can be a good investment.
Hmm, could be. I use a cpap and I always make sure to keep a couple of gallons handy. Another place to look in the stores are the baby supplies section. A lot of people use distilled water for making formula, so it's sold there.
By Andrew072
Hi, I find that RO filters and RO buddies are very effective at keeping tap water clean and low in ppm. If you look up RO buddy on amazon some good results should pop up :) good luck!
Intheswamp liked this
By ChefDean
andynorth wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:04 pm
ChefDean wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:36 pm Invest in a rain barrel or three, it can be a good investment.
I have 2 and a bunch of buckets that collect. You would think being in the PNW it would not be an issue but it sure is.
Wait a tick. We already had this discussion. Your tap water is ~40ppm, you don't need to worry about distilled water.
If you want to worry about it, double your rain water life by filling a jug half and half with rain water and tap water. The water will then be ~20ppm, well below the recommended 50ppm.
On the other hand, you're fine to use just tap water. Mine is 100-110ppm, and my plants suffer no ill effects.
wcrosman, andynorth liked this
By davinstewart
Or if you want to go the rainwater route just buy a plastic trash can with rounded lid like this one ...

Ace 32 gal Black Plastic Garbage Can Lid Included

Flip the lip upside down and drill a bunch of small holes in the center. Small enough that mosquitos can't get in but rain can. Then put it in the drip line of a shed or downspout and the next time it rains you'll have a bunch of clean, filtered rain water.
ChefDean, MikeB, Intheswamp and 1 others liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!