FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Dionae
Almost all of the growth died back on the ceph in the DE and I thought "Maybe this wasn't such a good idea!", but it seemed to have just been acclimatizing to my climate. Theres a new lil trap growing :D . All of the other cephs look a lil rough but they all seem to be putting out new growth.

The VFT in the DE mix is growing just as fast as the VFT(same clone) in the sand/peat mix. I'll post pics of them tomorrow.
Attachments:
DE/sand/peat. worst looking of the 3 working on a new pitcher in DE/sand/peat
DE/sand/peat. worst looking of the 3 working on a new pitcher in DE/sand/peat
DSCF0220.JPG (47.79 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
Most of the growth died back but if you look at the 1st pics I guess it was inevitable. This is in DE/sand/peat.
Most of the growth died back but if you look at the 1st pics I guess it was inevitable. This is in DE/sand/peat.
DSCF0221.JPG (59.08 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
New trap forming on the best looking of the 3. Also in sand/peat.
New trap forming on the best looking of the 3. Also in sand/peat.
DSCF0218.JPG (39.14 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
Another trap forming on the best looking clone.
Another trap forming on the best looking clone.
DSCF0219.JPG (38.7 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
Sand/peat mix...most of the growth has died back on this one too but looks like shes bouncing back.
Sand/peat mix...most of the growth has died back on this one too but looks like shes bouncing back.
DSCF0228.JPG (49.21 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
Dionae liked this
By jht-union
Your VFT's look exactly like mine, wanting to wake up, extending their leafs and traps to the sky wanting to reach the sun! :)
You sould have flower stalks coming in a week or so by the looking of your plants i can tell!
Good luck! :)
jht-union liked this
By Dionae
The ceph seems to like the DE mix. Has new growth coming up like crazy. Actually seems to be recovering faster than the ceph in sand/peat/lfs. I'll give her a few months of growing before I come to any conclusions but i'm confident she'll be just fine.
Attachments:
sand/peat/DE
sand/peat/DE
DSCF0379.JPG (65.53 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
sand/peat/DE with lots of new growth from the crown
sand/peat/DE with lots of new growth from the crown
DSCF0382.JPG (51.87 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
sand/peat/LFS
sand/peat/LFS
DSCF0384.JPG (73.6 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
Sand/peat/LFS
Sand/peat/LFS
DSCF0385.JPG (46.78 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
By Dionae
Almost forgot about this thread. The ceph seems to like the DE more than the VFT. The VFT in the DE isnt doing near as well as its sister in regular VFT mix. The ceph seems to love the DE :D . The ceph in the sand/peat mix has 2 mature pitchers and a couple smaller pitchers growing. When I received it it had 1 juvenile pitcher so i'm proud of its progress.
Attachments:
Mature pitcher on the sand/peat ceph. First mature pitcher that i've ever grown...proud of it.
Mature pitcher on the sand/peat ceph. First mature pitcher that i've ever grown...proud of it.
DSCF1094.JPG (72.93 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
3 of 4 growth points on the DE ceph
3 of 4 growth points on the DE ceph
DSCF1097.JPG (88.85 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
1 of 4 growth points on the DE ceph
1 of 4 growth points on the DE ceph
DSCF1098.JPG (81.06 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
Dionae, Dionae, Dionae liked this
By fuddmain
I've been using turface with the VFTs I ordered from here last year. The mix is 2 parts peat, 1 part coarse sand, and 1 part turface. Everything I'd read about turface suggested it would be fine. Some folks on other CP forums use it.

When I first purchased a bag I soaked it in distilled water and found it did not alter the TDS reading. This is after a good rinse, since it is dusty out of the bag.

My VFTs seem to be doing just fine.

It's also great for other potted plants. I use it 1:1 with crushed granite for my lithops and 1:1:1 with fir bark and crushed granite for my Jade plants. I think it's a great substitute for perlite. I dislike perlite.

If you don't want a 50 pound bag, check with your local bonsai clubs or shops. Many of them use it and may be willing to sell you a small amount.
fuddmain liked this

SASE put in mail!

Seeds is a gray area. This statement was cop[…]

I'm assuming you mean bonus Nepenthes? Order rece[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1660. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1659. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1658. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1657. I'll PM[…]

1 year old cape!

I would really be interested in getting some se[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!