FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Starchy
I feel like I already know the answer to this question, but I would feel better to hear a veteran confirm: Using tap water in a cool mist humidifier for my Drosera is okay, right? I justify this by thinking that the minerals won't be able to evaporate, and will stay in the humidifier chamber.

EDIT: I ran a test, and was a little shocked at what I found. Tap water measured 108ppm. I put a bag over the cool mist humidifier and collected some of the mist water. The collected water measured 67ppm! So I would assume this is not ideal to use next to my Drosera, right?

Furthermore, when I loaded the humidifier with distilled water, nothing mists out. I do not understand this at all. It seems to only mist out when tap water is used. I am running another test where the humidifier has distilled water in it, and is on the highest level. I am curious if it is actually still working, but I just cannot see the mist.
By David F
67 ppms is perfectly acceptable for most carnivorous plants.

If you worried you can remedy by occasionally top watering. Most drosera; however, do not require high humidity, just pure water and plenty of light. As well as deep substrate.
By David F
Sundews will always appreciate more intense light it they are lacking on the dew side of things.
CalCarn Hitchhiker

I agree with Shadow, it is too early to tell. How[…]

It isn't fully sealed, so it shouldn't be digestin[…]

So what would be the signs that I should not be us[…]

...maybe look at trading the VFT for a sundew. M[…]

Input on Neps placement

My traps and sundews do much better once they get[…]

SASE sent for April and May requests. Thanks Chef![…]

I have a Mars Hydro and 2 Vivosun 200W lights. The[…]

The above responses are OK, but for the faint of[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!