FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
You can try it, but it may be too coarse. I picked this up on Amazon.
Attachments:
IMG_20231221_080757_(1800_x_1100_pixel).jpg
IMG_20231221_080757_(1800_x_1100_pixel).jpg (595.99 KiB) Viewed 623 times
By Intheswamp
I tried the "ball" out last night. It's a lot finer mesh than the regular "flour" sifter or hand strainer that we have. It wasn't perfect but it might have been more user-error than anything else. I saved the chaff/debris and will find a pot to throw it in one day to see what I missed. I think I got to zealous trying to crumple and clean out the pods, but I think it worked out pretty good. I always make a little paper tray with sides on it when I'm working with sundew seeds. I must of been holding my breath at some point because after I had a lot of seeds separated from some of the fine chaff that went through the screen I decided to....exhale!!! :shock: Didn't lose anything but time, but still.... :| Thanks for the tip about the tea strainer...it definitely speeds things up! :D
Attachments:
IMG_1851 (Custom).JPG
IMG_1851 (Custom).JPG (605.2 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Panman liked this
By evenwind
Panman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:06 am So, I was harvesting a few drosera intermedia seeds.

I crushed them up and made sure to roll the pods between my fingers to crack them open.

It all goes into my seed strainer, aka fine mesh tea steeper.

And I sift out all of the large pieces, leaving behind the seeds and the smaller chaff.

I shake the paper with the seed on it from side to side, working the seeds loose from the chaff. Tilting the paper let's the seeds roll down but the chaff stay behind.

Then they get packaged into a seed envelope to be divided up later.
Congratulations! You're getting to the level where you can finally look for alternate uses for your seeds! I suggest you mix 'em with a little cold cream and use the paste to exfoliate your elbows and heels - you'll be as smooth as a baby's bottom!
Panman liked this
By ChefDean
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:21 pm Thanks for the tip about the tea strainer...it definitely speeds things up! :D
That looks like the same type I use. Works well for most Drosera.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
evenwind wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:24 pm
Panman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:06 am So, I was harvesting a few drosera intermedia seeds.

I crushed them up and made sure to roll the pods between my fingers to crack them open.

It all goes into my seed strainer, aka fine mesh tea steeper.

And I sift out all of the large pieces, leaving behind the seeds and the smaller chaff.

I shake the paper with the seed on it from side to side, working the seeds loose from the chaff. Tilting the paper let's the seeds roll down but the chaff stay behind.

Then they get packaged into a seed envelope to be divided up later.
Congratulations! You're getting to the level where you can finally look for alternate uses for your seeds! I suggest you mix 'em with a little cold cream and use the paste to exfoliate your elbows and heels - you'll be as smooth as a baby's bottom!
Uh, I know this was for Panman, but just to plan ahead...do you recommend any particular brand of cold cream?
By evenwind
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:08 pm Uh, I know this was for Panman, but just to plan ahead...do you recommend any particular brand of cold cream?
Well, if you've got a Costco nearby, I prefer Kirkland cold cream. It comes in 1 and 2 gallon jugs. Thrifty!
Intheswamp liked this
By hollyhock
I also have at least 20,000 seeds. I mean I didn't count my omg. I will have to sprinkle fairy them. I do enjoy them and so easy to take care of. Since they basically take care of themselves and I guess they will always be part of my collection. They are the capensis of temperate plants :lol:
ChefDean liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!