FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

For some reason I've never been successful in collecting seeds from my sundews, but recently I've noticed a few mysterious sundew babies popping up in nearby pots, so I have a feeling that I finally got them to seed.

I clipped the flowers off and put them in an envelope, and squeezed the dried up pods, and I THINK I got seeds? Do these look like seeds?

Far away shot:

Zoomed in shot:
StephenB200+ liked this
By Shadowtski
Yes.
The ICPS has a database of seed images that can be found here. https://www.carnivorousplants.org/about ... SeedImages
Click and compare, remembering that there is always some variation.
Thanks,
Mike T,
Nikson liked this
By andynorth
Thanks for that link. I was uncertain about my own seeds and found out that sure enough, my Drosera, especially the Intermedia were producing seeds. Not sure if you know this but the more you feed them the more flower they will produce. I feed mine flightless fruit flies about twice a month and they all, but again the Intermedia grow flowers quite frequently. I am getting ready to harvest some Cap seeds.
By Panman
Intermedia will produce seeds. Intermedia will produce a ton of seeds. Intermedia will produce seeds where you didn't know there were any intermedias. Intermedias are weeds. Lovely weeds that I enjoy, but weeds.
Shadowtski, Intheswamp, andynorth and 2 others liked this
By Intheswamp
Panman, sometimes other plants get fed-up with intermedia's intrusive personality, cop an attitude, and fight back! :lol:

(All plants courtesy of seeds that @evenwind sent my way to help me get addicted. Thanks, evenwind! :D )
IMG_4261app (Custom).jpg
IMG_4261app (Custom).jpg (505.96 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Panman, Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Oh yeah, additional question, what's the best way to actually separate the seeds from the flowers?

I put all the flowers inside a paper envelope and the seeds came out when I crushed the flowers, but now there's like powdered flower and seeds all mixed together, is it alright if I just kinda dumped all the seeds/powdered dry flower together into a growing medium? I can see the individual seeds but they're impossible to grab out of the envelope, lol.

By ChefDean
Most people do what you did, and crush them to an extent to separate the seeds. It takes some practice to get the right pressure, and a realization that you don't need to get every seed. There are some you want to try harder to get as many seeds as possible, but we're talking about spatulata here.
Something I do when I have a bunch of stalks is I put them all in a big envelope and forget about them for a month, this let's them get good and dry. I then gently press down on them, shake the envelope vigorously, and pour the bits through a fine wire tea ball. That filters out all but the smallest bits of debris, and I'm left with ~97%+ seed.
Nikson, StephenB200+ liked this
By Nikson
Great advice, thanks guys!

I just wasn't sure if having the dried up flower bits left in the mix with the seeds would end up causing mold issues or something, but I just poured the powdered flowers and seeds together into the peat moss container I had prepped and I'm looking forwards to see what grows!
StephenB200+ liked this
New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Thanks! Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome to the forum!

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

First flower stalk on VFT

I might let the biggest flower stalk flower but c[…]

I repotted some of the vft's from the flower stal[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!