FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DeadlyCarnivore
I have had this ceph for a couple of months now (picture attached below) and I want to repot it. It has NOT been doing well (had an aphid issue that was affecting it when I had recieved it and for the months after I had gotten it) and now I think the soil it is in, is part of the issue. Its fairly small still, which is why I havent done it yet and am asking for some advice.

Should I wait until it gets bigger? Should I just carefully repot it now since it is winter where I am? What should I do?Image

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

By Panman
Cephs are notoriously futzy about being repotted. I would normally recommend slip potting but since you are in doubt on the viability of the soil, I would do a full repot. I use even parts of peat/perlite/sand as my medium of choice for cephs. Get the soil good and wet but not soggy. Maybe squeeze the water out of it and fluff it again when you put it in the pot. I would then bag the whole thing and keep it in bright light for a couple of weeks. Open the abg every day or two to circulate the air. The start acclimating it to lower humidity and brighter light. That is what I would do but there are no guarantees when it comes to repotting.
andynorth liked this
By tommyr
If you re-pot just TAKE YOUR TIME and go slow and gentle. I found them to be fairly easy to re-pot, just go SLOW. And they REALLY seem to love being re-potted. You MIGHT lose a few pitchers though after but they start growing pretty fast shortly after.
By DeadlyCarnivore
Panman wrote:Cephs are notoriously futzy about being repotted. I would normally recommend slip potting but since you are in doubt on the viability of the soil, I would do a full repot. I use even parts of peat/perlite/sand as my medium of choice for cephs. Get the soil good and wet but not soggy. Maybe squeeze the water out of it and fluff it again when you put it in the pot. I would then bag the whole thing and keep it in bright light for a couple of weeks. Open the abg every day or two to circulate the air. The start acclimating it to lower humidity and brighter light. That is what I would do but there are no guarantees when it comes to repotting.
Alrighty, I'll do that, thank you! I had thought about slip potting until I had messed with the soil a little bit. It doesnt accept water easily. I killed my last ceph recently from repotting carelessly, so we shall see.

By DeadlyCarnivore
Repotted. Severely underestimated the root size on one of the 2 in the pot... roots were... very disturbed. Bagged up and under lights. We'll see how it does.

Jedikinigit, tommyr liked this
By DeadlyCarnivore
I know its barely been a week, but it seems to be good, growing some new non-carnivorous leaves.

tommyr liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!