FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By jab91
Hello,
I just recieved a Nepenthes mikei from killer plant shop. It was 60% off and so i got it for $6 :D .
Ive read all the care guides i could find on the web, from the care guides here, to Nepenthes University, Cobraplant.com, Nepenthes around the house, wikipedia, everything.
I really like this plant and dont want to lose it. I read this story on icps proboards http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa ... thread=749 where this persons N. mikei was doing so well for a couple of months and then all of a sudden loses the plant. Im just looking to see if anyone out there has kept this plant alive for more than a year and if they can share any tips, tricks, or secrets to caring for this great plant. Any info/suggestions welcome.
Here are some pics, it is currently on my south facing bedroom windowsill, the seller said it was acclimated to household humidity. Temps range from mid 70s to low 50s at night. One day i wish to move this plant outside but its been kind of cold here in the Bay Area lately. Hows it look?

Last edited by jab91 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By snapperhead51
cant see your photos ?? any how Mikei is one plant that's is quite hard to grow , you need to have the climate conditions very close to right , water and light and humidity is very important , light and humidity being the most important , they like very bright light and min of 60% humidity , any low light and they will get leaf damage like curl and brown lining,and other leaf problem , with small leaf forming and tendril die back and not forming as well , it likes spring sun light all day and a drop in temp at night of some degrees, ,must have goog air flow as well like a small fan blowing as well
, not a easy plant
john
By jab91
I'm sorry about the pics. Ill fix it tomorrow.

Oh man, now I'm scared of this plant dying on me. Are these your personal observations snapperhead? I've been debating about growing this plant outside or inside. Would it be better to grow it outside in zone 9 where it gets to low 40s at night and low 60s during day with humidity near 100% at night and 50% during day or household conditions stated above?
By snapperhead51
be care full putting any plant directly in front of glass, glass is a reflector of light can cause the light to magnify a lot , and cause heat bursts on the plant , have know idea how strong the sun is there , but here it will fry a plant in a few hours or less, so its a judgment call to shade it or not ?? usually with strong light high humidity is need to counter act the burning affect with air moisture ,relative humidity as its known ,is how low land plants do so well in the direct sun and heat, high lands do it with altitude cool and humidity.
so a bit of though will be needed in that area for you to look at
J
By jab91
I see, i appreciate your feed back, and i definitely am taking all this into consideration. I think what im gonna do is put the plant outside under a tree wihich gets strong indirect light all day and see how that goes.
By Reptilehunter78
Did you really get Nepenthes mikei for $6? Seems rather cheap for a mikei? But then again that was 2013, did it turn out to be it now? Wondering how's it growing? I just acquired one for $40 a very tiny plant.

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!