FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By jolenelindsey78
I know to not use a terracotta pot since minerals can seep into the soil and kill the plant. If it’s a sealed pot, would it be ok? I found an Etsy shop that has one that is painted white with dripping blood from the lip of it. Super great idea but I’m afraid to get it and kill my plant.
Attachments:
IMG_0192.jpeg
IMG_0192.jpeg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 632 times
By Huntsmanshorn
jolenelindsey78 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:02 am I know to not use a terracotta pot since minerals can seep into the soil and kill the plant. If it’s a sealed pot, would it be ok? I found an Etsy shop that has one that is painted white with dripping blood from the lip of it. Super great idea but I’m afraid to get it and kill my plant.
Assuming you mean the terracotta material its self is sealed and not the holes in the bottom of the pot, you should be fine, although if the pot is only meant for show and not use then there could be an issue, but that seems pretty unlikely in this case.
By ChefDean
Sealed typically means that it has a ceramic glaze that has been fired onto it, essentially coating it in glass, so that the minerals are sealed in and water is sealed out. (There are other coatings that could seal it, but, since I own half of a ceramic business, I envision a ceramic glaze.)To my eye, this appears to simply be paint, which may not be waterproof, and would not protect from mineral leaching. Fine for most plants, hard pass (IMO) for carnivorous plants.
On a different note; $20 for a small terracotta pot and saucer that had some paint applied? I'm in the wrong business! Forget cooking, painted pots from here on out.
Panman, Intheswamp, loma604 and 1 others liked this
By wcrosman
Agree with the chef, looks like paint not glaze. And maybe not even an enamel paint since not glossy.
Panman liked this
Where is the cheapest place to buy pots

Hi all! I just ran out of large pots for my sarra[…]

tommyr's grow list

pm'ed ya!

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

just pm'ed you!

Catching the Nep fever

Surprisingly, I have never really put effort into […]

Hello from the California!

Wow! this forum has an amazing set up for seeds! I[…]

April 2024 Photo Contest - Stuck on You

Much thanks to Optique and what an incredible, hea[…]

Liberation from Lowe’s

Holy moly! Wait that division just happens natural[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!