FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By joecal87
Well the first of the 4 plants I ordered finally arrived. I am a big history buff so I really wanted the BZ 1955 and that’s how i found this place! First off big thanks to Matt and Leah, i found this place last and several days after I ordered my first three plants and somehow you guys were the first to arrive! So thanks again for being so speedy on a holiday week!

It has arrived mature and in a dormant state which is perfect. The back room is set up with plenty of nice sunlight, it’s a little warmer than usual (between 48/52 in the room right now) due to an unseasonably warm few days here in NJ but it should be more like 40/45 til feb most days if not lower and just about every night hits the 20ies/30ies so that room gets nice and cold without dropping below 38F on extreme days. My grow bulbs (sansy 36 watt bulb on clamp with a reflector) has not arrived yet although it’s supposed to come tonight as well. Either way due to the dormancy if I don’t get, it window still where the window is open will have to hold it over for the time being. when the bulbs come i plan on using it for 8 hours as opposed to the 12 id use when they aren’t in dormancy. I didn’t bother trying to feed it, figured if its in dormancy it won’t eat anyway.

The soil is actually still pretty damp so i will be skipping the tray (with distilled water of course) tonight. normally i’d put it in but with the cold room it should stay damp for a few days. I will definitely be monitoring it closely though!

Also for those curious in the spring and summer that room gets nice and hot almost humid with strong sunlight. so it’s really honestly perfect. temps won’t be higher than 85 ever in that room tho

pretty soon it will become a full grow room once my collection grows i’m sure lol

Anyway here’s a pic. Loving how it looks, cannot wait to see what it will do in the spring/summer! Fantastic looking plant from this place!

When the others come I will also post pics as well! i will also keep everyone updated as the new year progresses!

Wish me luck! :D
Attachments:
Brand New Mature Dormant BZ 1955
Brand New Mature Dormant BZ 1955
IMG_6747.jpeg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 950 times
Last edited by joecal87 on Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB, Matt liked this
By andynorth
Nice start. We all have to start somewhere. So do you plan to grow indoors year round? I have all my dormant plants in garage and will get them outdoors come spring/summer. I plan to hopefully leave them outside after that. I brought them in this year as I have a lot invested in my plants at this point and do not want to lose any if at all possible. I have my Sundews in my greenhouse so they get large enough before going outside also. I am hoping they will also not die off on me as there are some relatively nice sized ones that have taken a bit of time to grow. I also have a couple Sarrs in my grow tent because I wanted to see how large they will get before placing them outside.
And I agree, Matt and Leah have done an outstanding job in getting orders processed and shipped out in a very timely manner.
joecal87 liked this
By joecal87
andynorth wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:50 am Nice start. We all have to start somewhere. So do you plan to grow indoors year round? I have all my dormant plants in garage and will get them outdoors come spring/summer. I plan to hopefully leave them outside after that. I brought them in this year as I have a lot invested in my plants at this point and do not want to lose any if at all possible. I have my Sundews in my greenhouse so they get large enough before going outside also. I am hoping they will also not die off on me as there are some relatively nice sized ones that have taken a bit of time to grow. I also have a couple Sarrs in my grow tent because I wanted to see how large they will get before placing them outside.
And I agree, Matt and Leah have done an outstanding job in getting orders processed and shipped out in a very timely manner.
Yep gonna do it indoors all year around while I live here which will be for atleast 5 plus years anyway. My yard is shared space and there are children who use it plus we get lots of critters and random stray cats. So no thanks lol rather not chance it. Honestly if my back room was insulated i probably wouldn’t have bothered because without the yard and back room the growing conditions wouldn’t be optimal nor would it be fair to the plant. But luckily it’s not insulated and i honestly don’t use the room for anything but storage and taking my dogs out (the back door to my yard is through the room). the best part is i usually leave my door open when i take the dogs out which from time to time brings a bug or two in when it’s not winter. Hopefully that will be free food for em lol.

Good luck with your plants! If all goes well with my traps I wanna look into getting a sundew myself, if the conditions are right i might do it lol. The sundew also fascinates me, how is it maintaining those? i haven’t done much research on caring for them yet.
By andynorth
joecal87 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:09 am The sundew also fascinates me, how is it maintaining those? i haven’t done much research on caring for them yet.
When I first started with sundews I had some issues. That was resolved by purchasing a TDS and Ph meter and changing out my media to a mix of LFSM and Peat. Since doing that they have done great. I think a lot depends upon which species you choose to grow. Definitely do your homework before diving in to them.
I feed them flightless fruit flies a couple times a month and they love them. Many flowers from them so I am trying to start getting some seeds together to contribute back to the seedbank.
joecal87 liked this
By Matt
joecal87 wrote:First off big thanks to Matt and Leah, i found this place last and several days after I ordered my first three plants and somehow you guys were the first to arrive! So thanks again for being so speedy on a holiday week!
You're very welcome! And thanks for the order!!

That BZ 1955 is a really large flytrap, so it should be a beast for you next spring. I hope you enjoy growing the oldest known VFT in cultivation!

Out of curiosity, how did you end up finding us and how did you find the other places from which you ordered?
joecal87 liked this
By joecal87
Matt wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:15 pm
joecal87 wrote:First off big thanks to Matt and Leah, i found this place last and several days after I ordered my first three plants and somehow you guys were the first to arrive! So thanks again for being so speedy on a holiday week!
You're very welcome! And thanks for the order!!

That BZ 1955 is a really large flytrap, so it should be a beast for you next spring. I hope you enjoy growing the oldest known VFT in cultivation!

Out of curiosity, how did you end up finding us and how did you find the other places from which you ordered?
Honestly i was just looking at pictures of venus fly traps that looked interesting. So i tried to just buy from reputable sites (California Carnivore which was slower and unresponsive and Bug biting plants which hasn’t even begun to send out the plant and i ordered from them 12/23! This place blows those two out the water) So when i ordered one i just kept looking and kept ordering lol. But i came across your site and the 1955 and the description sold me, so even tho I was done buying plants, I absolutely had to have it lol. Love having a piece of history lol. Then because you guys were the best and the fastest i started looking more into your products. so i wound up buying some fly trap dirt and the fused tooth x fused tooth seeds. So now… You guys will definitely be my first stop for everything going forward. Plus the forum is great too!

I have my eye on Schuppenstiel Destruction and the FTS Maroon Monster, there are plenty of others I am interested in too but those two really grab me! I’ll probably buy those in february/march if still available but in the mean time i’m gonna try growing the fused tooth seeds while my new plants rest in dormancy. my hope is by the time they come out of dormancy the seeds will have atleast sprouted if not produced a mini trap yet!

I am actually heading to home depot to try n buy a temporary grow light since mine didn’t arrive in time (you guys beat everyone. :D. but it was supposed to be here yesterday) it’s kinda cloudy today and tomorrow will be cloudy too so i’d really like to get it under some kinda light for a few hours atleast. i’m sure they will be fine until tuesday because they are set up great otherwise but I don’t wanna chance it! They don’t have the light i ordered but the one they have should hold over til tuesday

Anyway thanks again! Really appreciate it. Stay tuned I will be providing seasonal updates! I’ll take great care of your plants, i promise!
Matt liked this
By andynorth
Do you plan on growing any Sarrs? If so, I highly recommend jumping on Matt's Winter/Spring Sarrs sale. For $30.00 total with shipping you get 3 HUGE bulbs that are sure to please next spring. I was so impressed with the first 6 I bought that I went back and bought 9 more. :D :D :D
joecal87, Matt liked this
By joecal87
andynorth wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:44 pm Do you plan on growing any Sarrs? If so, I highly recommend jumping on Matt's Winter/Spring Sarrs sale. For $30.00 total with shipping you get 3 HUGE bulbs that are sure to please next spring. I was so impressed with the first 6 I bought that I went back and bought 9 more. :D :D :D
lol, i have to do research on them, but i am interested, sundews and bladder warts as well. I’m def gonna look into it. I don’t wanna start anything until I’ve done enough research and comfortable with it. if the conditions they like are close enough to the conditions I have set up for the traps I will likely get into them next fall/winter. I will prob focus more on the venus fly traps this year. I plan on buying 2 to 6 more by the summer and growing the 10 seeds of Fused Tooth that i have coming so my hands will be full the next few months as i perfect the grow room as well.

I figure by next fall I’ll be more comfortable to expand to another plant type if not sooner lol you never know! :mrgreen: lol
By joecal87
Also and update for everyone

I went out and got a temporary grow light. Didn’t want this guy sitting without sunlight til tuesday esp since it was shipped. During dormancy, I will only be using about 6 to 8 hours of this before it goes back on the window still unless the room drops a few degrees lower to 45 or less. currently at 49 but it was 46 this morning at 7 so it was def under 45 over the night.

God that room is so cold now lol but worth it for the plants! it’ll be nice and warm in there again in the spring and summer lol. i even weather stripped the door so the heat from the house doesn’t get in the room now. and i removed the weather strips from the door going outside in that room so it gets more even with the outdoor temps

no water in the tray and the soil is still damp, will keep checking every 12 hours. will probably have to add alil water in the tray for a day or two tomorrow prob

Sorry not the best pic
Attachments:
IMG_6751.jpeg
IMG_6751.jpeg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 830 times
By Matt
joecal87 wrote:You guys will definitely be my first stop for everything going forward. Plus the forum is great too!
Thanks so much for the kind feedback and for considering us for your Venus flytrap "needs" going forward :D
joecal87, andynorth, Panman liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!