FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Panman wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:00 pmPut out a saucer of beer and see if you catch any.
Cheap beer, save the good stuff for human consumption.
By Hedonista
ChefDean wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:26 pm
Panman wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:00 pmPut out a saucer of beer and see if you catch any.
Cheap beer, save the good stuff for human consumption.
Yup, I taught my mom what a 40 was for this exact purpose.
Jedikinigit liked this
By camsdad66
Hell yeah! Ain't wastin' no good beer (if I had any!) on slugs! But, thanks for the input (Panman) and advice (ChefDean). I certainly think your theory about the slugs could be right. But....with that much widespread damage to my plants, wouldn't I at least have seen a sluggatoo? (DISCLAIMER:NOT A REAL WORD)

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

By Panman
camsdad66 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:36 am Hell yeah! Ain't wastin' no good beer (if I had any!) on slugs! But, thanks for the input (Panman) and advice (ChefDean). I certainly think your theory about the slugs could be right. But....with that much widespread damage to my plants, wouldn't I at least have seen a sluggatoo? (DISCLAIMER:NOT A REAL
Likely. Put out some beer and find out.
By camsdad66
Will do! So them slugs like the beer, huh? We have something in common! My luck, my dog will drink the bowl of beer and get drunk!

By andynorth
Panman wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:45 pm It draws them from all around. They crawl into the bowl and drown.
Correct. Living in the PNW, we have them EVERYWHERE. Similar dislike to them as InTheSwamp has for ants. Rather than draw them in and drown them, we prefer to just keep them away. Cory's slug bait works well around here but it is just a mixture of salts. A thin line of salt around the perimeter usually does the trick. Even with our wet weather salt seems to outlast beer.
If you go the beer route, several cool whip containers with holes cut at the bottom about 1/4" to 1/2" up. Set them where you want them, then poor in beer and put lid on. Bowls work great if you are not worried about the rain, which we have plenty of.
I will say, I have never had an issue with slugs/snails using salt.
By camsdad66
Hi all,
Quick update on this. I never put out beer for the slugs, if there were any. They will have to get their own! Lol. New growth appears to be normal, so I'm gonna chalk it up to possible chemical damage. Hopefully doesn't happen again. I do have farmland nearby, so possibly something sprayed was traveling on the wind!

Jedikinigit, andynorth liked this

You can also buy the Gubler's LFSM at Lowe's, on[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!