FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By animalisterra
What mini greenhouse would you recommend that could fit inside? The plants that I have are Nepenthes Ventricosa, Drosera capensis, Pinguicula moranensis, and Drosera dielsiana. I want to expand my collection with some more butterworts, venus flytraps, and sundews.

My other question: Why do I see many people using tin foil in their terrariums and greenhouses?
By KategoricalKarnivore
I can’t recommend a GH because I don’t have one but the tinfoil is for reflecting more light back onto the plants instead of just wasting it letting it escape out the sides. And silver Mylar is way more effective than foil. You can find it online or also those reflective emergency blankets they sell in most camping sections of stores like Walmart etc.
By tannerm
I don’t think you necessarily need a greenhouse for any of those :)

People usually use a material that has the appearance of foil, but it’s not actually foil... it’s for both insulation and to increase the amount of light the plants get due to the reflective nature of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By animalisterra
The light that I have is Feit electric dial blue spectrum grow light. It is 6500k and has 450Nm blue and 655Nm red. It is about 10 and a half inches from the shelf that the plants are sitting on.

My only worry is humidity because we live in a dry climate with very little rain. Every night I have a humidifier that is filled with tap water. Will this maintain humidity? Should I be filling it up with the same water that I use for the plants? Are there any suggestions of ways to maintain humidity in the growing area?
By nimbulan
You definitely don't need an enclosure for any of those plants, unless you're just looking for shelves. You'd be really surprised how little many CPs care about low humidity. Low humidity combined with high temperatures and direct sunlight can be an issue though, necessitating the use of shade cloth.

If you do buy one, I'd recommend getting one with a polyethylene cover rather than a PVC cover like the cheaper brands use - it'll be far more durable. The ones with the reinforcing grid on the cover will help too, though it's more difficult to see through. Personally I've been liking the Gardman brand.
By animalisterra
One last question. Would you recommend hanging the N. Ventricosa under the grow light or on a sunny windowsill? The window gets more than 3 hours of morning sun and has patches of shade and sun from a tree for the rest of the day. My only worry is that the fungus gnats will get to the plant because it will not be next to the sundews and butterworts.

And

Do you recommend misting baby small or growing pitchers for a higher success rate?
Last edited by animalisterra on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!