FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By italo.americano
Hi Kevin,

A good idea would be to place 4 or 5 mixing bowels outside about 15 minutes after it starts raining. Fifteen minutes will be enough time for pollutants to fall out of the clouds.
Once your mixing bowels are full, you will want to transfer the water to 1 gallon milks jugs for storage. Make sure the plastic 1 gallon jugs have been washed and do not contain any regular water.
Also use a funnel and a coffee filter when transferring the water to your milk jugs. Coffee filters will filter out small amounts of dirt in the rain water that look black.
Rainwater today contains several chemicals like dust, ions, even biological traces like animal feces. While these may prompt you not to use it for personal purposes, rainwater is excellent for Dionaea.

I hope this helps,

Giovanni
By Matt
Usually cisterns are made this way. My father grew up in rural Missouri without running water. They collected their drinking water from their roofs. You just have to let the dirt and dust be washed off the roof first and then start collecting the water. So, if it's raining, don't start collecting the water that's run off the roof until the roof has been cleaned for a while, say 30 minutes or so. Of course, if you have a TDS meter, you can know for sure how many ppm of dissolved soilds is in the water. In my experience, any time I've ever tested rain water, it's always 0ppm.
By Matt
Adam wrote:On the west coast of Canada we don't have to worry about air pollutants :)
I don't think they're much of a concern in most places actually. I've only heard that you need to allow the rain to wash stuff off of the area that the water will be running over before you collect it. If you're going to just collect it directly from the sky, I don't think you have much to worry about unless you live in a big city and even then I doubt that they'll be enough stuff in the rain to make much of a difference. That's just a guess though...
By kevinqwe
italo.americano wrote: Also use a funnel and a coffee filter when transferring the water to your milk jugs. Coffee filters will filter out small amounts of dirt in the rain water that look black.
1. will coffee filter that have been emptied work? i only have them with the teabags.
2. how could you get rid of most the tap water to clean the jugs? it will still have a lot of drops of tapwater.
By KruperTrooper
kevinqwe wrote: 1. will coffee filter that have been emptied work? i only have them with the teabags.
2. how could you get rid of most the tap water to clean the jugs? it will still have a lot of drops of tapwater.
2. Just wait for it to dry on its own, leave the jug without the cap on it for 24 hours. I don't think those little drops will make a difference to CP's.
By italo.americano
Kevin,

To be on the safe side I would recommend buying brand new filters. You can get them at Walgreen's for around $1.50.
When you clean your one gallon jugs, wash them with warm water and then leave them outside in the sun to dry for a day. Also, when I buy distiled water, I always reuse those gallon jugs as you do not have to clean them at all since they only contained distilled water.

I hope this helps,

Giovanni
By Matt
kevinqwe wrote:1. will coffee filter that have been emptied work? i only have them with the teabags.
1. If you rinse it out well, that should be fine.
2. Tap water isn't poison, you just don't want to repeatedly water your plants with it. A few drops of tap water won't hurt anything.

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!